The moon tonight.

by Defianttruth 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

corona moon

I was in my yard tonight with telescope watching Jupiter. Jupiter is as close to the moon as it will be in the next 13 years. To my surprise, the moon had a corona which is pretty rare for where I am standing. I put my camera on a tripod and slowed the aperture way down and took a picture like this one. Imagine what early man in the wilderness would have thought at this sight. We look at early developmental religions sometimes and ridicule because of the simplicities and mythologies applied to explainable natural occurrences. I know the ring is there because of randomly placed hexagonal shaped ice crystals in the upper atmosphere refracting moon light at an optimal angle of about 21.84 degrees, but imagine looking into the sky and watching your god Jupiter getting closer and closer to the moon over several weeks and then all of a sudden the moon is surrounded by a ring. It must have been an awesome sight. It would be easy to think something different was about to happen. Anyway, my family and I was under the stars on a cool night talking and cuddling for warmth. I hope my children remember nights like this. I know I will.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome to the forum, Defiant! Nice sentiments you expressed.

When leaving a store at twilight, I looked up at the moon and saw a bright star above it, the only star then out . . .

That's JUPITER?

CoCo wonders

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Cool picture!

• talesin
    talesin

Wow, storm tomorrow!

hey, don't get TOO scientific about it,,,,,, enjoy a bit of wonder ... xoxo

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPSBzGEklE

tal

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Really cool. Thans for posting the pic.

• talesin
    talesin

CoCo ---

t

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Thanks, Defianttruth! I just looked, and the Moon is directly above us here in Texas, and Jupiter is soooo close to the Moon! I'm tempted to drag my telescope out so I can catch a closer glimpse. I too have thought about what it must have been like when our ancestors saw these astronomical highlights so long ago. Back then, there were no bright city lights to obstruct their view, and I bet they saw some incredible things that we just are not able to see now.

Thank you again for sharing this with us, and I am happy that you were also able to share it with your children! Awesome!!!

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Excellent. I am an amateur astronomer, I love stuff like this. Do you check out Bad Astronomy or APOD?

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Thank you for sharing your beautiful picture with all of us.

I didn't realize that was Jupiter.

My daughter and I bundled up and went out, just in time to see a spot of furry moon before the fog came in and covered it over.

If we hadn't gone at that time, we wouldn't even have known where the moon was, it's that foggy tonight.

Just Lois

• ndmom73
    ndmom73

Love the picture! Thank you so much for sharing. I will take your word that the moon is beautiful tonight, much too cold here in North Dakota for me to have any desire to investigate it myself!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit