The moon tonight.

by Defianttruth 29 Replies latest jw friends

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Nice shot.

This effect is caused/known as HAIC - High Altitude Ice Crystals. In colder areas, it can be observed more frequently.

- Lime

• prologos
    prologos

ohiocowboy in texas: envy you with clear sky. did you know that the moon is highest (december) when the sun is lowest? end is lowest when the sun is highest (June) just as you said:"directly above us-"

talesin: "dont get too scientific" true, but understanding inspires its own awe and wonder, love in the laws.

A sister a long time ago pointed out a bright star to me (not in her eyes) I said th her: "thats not a star thats a planet" that was the intended end of that story.

EP: I apod every day.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is my photo:

Five moons and a planet.

In order from top to down: Ganymede, Jupiter, Europa, Io, and Callisto at the bottom.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

My father used to say that the number of stars inside the ring indicates the number of days until the next snow.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Defianttruth,

Wow! Great picture and great commentary.

I've been fortunate enough to observe that phenomenon a few times in my life, but never got a picture.

Thanks!

00DAD

• Pterist
    Pterist

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

How ironic. Last night, I was walking outside and happened to look up at the moon - for no apparent reason - and spotted the 'star' right next to it. I did not realize it was Jupiter until this morning. I also pointed it out to my wife, who also saw it.

I think it's pretty awesome!

Thanks for the photo.

Regards,

Jim TX

• jgnat
    jgnat

Cool photos. Leolaia, in order to see the moons, I had to copy your photo to my desktop and clear the dust from my screen.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Yep, got it.

Leolaia, I would bet you had to make a composite to get the Jovian moons without an overexposed Earth moon. Great job.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Wow! Spectacular pictures, Defianttruth and Leo! Thanks for sharing! I love that halo! You can just faintly see the Pleiades at '1 o'clock' inside it. I'm amazed at the clarity of Leo's picture - e.g. the lunar features are so crisp.

Trivia: Solar and lunar halos are recorded in some of the Babylonian astronomical texts. VAT 4956 mentions 2 or 3 lunar halos and the scribes would write down the stars or planets or constellations that fell within them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit