Why WTBTS Disfellowshipping Works...

by AGuest 61 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest
    If you did not want to be disfellowshipped, people should not become JWs.

Bullock pucky. It's not like they have some "join at your own risk (of being disfellowshipped if you disagree)" disclaimer. I didn't even know of disfellowshipping until I had been in a few years. No one I knew of was disfellowshipped and so it never came up. I heard it whispered about (because I was a new young black "sister" in a hall where, apparently, all of the other black "sisters" had been disfellowshipped at one point or another - all three for either dating, marrying, or being unmarried and having children by "unbelievers"). I couldn't figure out why some treated me as they did (I had not experienced it before moving to that congregation due to relocating). Found out, some were actually hedging bets as to how long before I committed some "sin" (adultery?) to warrant DF'ing. It was almost expected.

Even so, UNTIL then MY "study" always consisted of being told about the "love among brothers," and how "merciful" (Jehovah) was. My understanding was the DF'ing was the end of all attempts to "help" someone and that such one didn't "want" help... but had CHOSEN to not "love" (Jehovah) any longer... and so CHOSE to be DF'd. Of course, I had began to figure out THAT lie before it happened to ME... but I still gave those yahoos the benefit of the doubt, that perhaps they knew something I didn't.

They didn't. Most of them were/are quite happy to "expel" someone from their synagogue...

A slave of Christ,

SA

• tec
    tec

If people converted, they voluntarily chose to be expelled and shunned with no due process. The Witnesses never lied about this matter.

It was not made clear to me during my study. There was a quick mention of Paul saying to expel the immoral brother type thing, that i should have paid more attention TO... but it was quick, and I never thought much about it... or what shunning and df'ing would actually mean. That is certainly not explained.

Mind you, I never got baptized. I might have learned more about it before I took that plunge, but I don't think that others who have converted realized the consequences and effects of this practice either. Even catholic ex-communication does not require all contact be cut off... only contact of a religious nature. So I think most people would assume something like that, rather than death by expulsion. (like Ayla in Clan of the Cave Bear)

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty
    I personally wouldn't run to the authorities unless I was told a little more than "I think Uncle Cofty 'touched' me." - Shelby

This is a classic example of why I have utter contempt for you.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

it doesn't work, never has worked and will continue not to work, that's why they have such a terrible retention rate, an unbelievable amount of "double lifers" and if did it work rather then punishing their members with this cruel punishment there wouldn't be so many suicides in which they lead the world with.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Pls note that I said that I was born-in and may not have the same view as someone who converted. This statement is not cause for bad language.

People can disagree. Disfellowsiping was discussed endlessly when I attended meetings.

Why anyone would commit to such a high control religion, esp. people with higher ed, is beyond me. A study gives you idea of JW culture. Their doctrines aren't as bad as the culture. Perhaps my KH had an astronomical number of disfellowshipings. All my HS classmates were disfellowshiped within a two months for sexual immorality. One acquaiintance is still angry for being disfellowshiped for having a child out of wedlock. There were no exceptional circumstances in her case. What did she expect? They never say break all our rules and you are welcome. They skipped the Prodigal Son scriptures.

This is why I think bashing the WT is not the only route to help people. The general population should learn to be more sophisticated. JWs are far from the wrost cult that can grab you. I do see the draw --they can be so friendly- until you become one. Most people would be wary within a few months of KH attendance. As I said, I was born-in so it was norm until I started school. Nevertheless, I always viewed KH as torture and a blight in my life. They did not resemble nice or friendly people. The vasty majority of converts have much more experience in normal life than born-ins against which to measure JW culture. When they said how wicked the world was, that millions of infants, seniors, and disabled people, must die, I had no knowledge of the world to know what a massive lie was taking place.

It is interesting b/c I parish shop. I would explain to Jewish friends my quest for a home parish that was a good fit. They told me their parents investigated synagogues for years before making a final decision. You must pay money to be a member of a synagogue. They told me it was a l ot of money. It was normal to investigate for their culture.

This is my opinion. I am not reporting something I read or heard in conversation or class. My opinion may not be your opinion but it is valid. It remains my opinon no matter what threatening language is used.

Plus, I submit again the disfellowshiping is not in the WT's interest. Most of their beliefs are not in their interest.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Seems like they're stuck in a rut.

The GB are such feckin' tards but they love their power and the cash that comes with it.

They ain't changing any time soon.

'let them hate, so long as they fear' - Lucius Accius (Some old Roman bloke)

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

They tell lies about disfellowshipping. They convinced me that anyone who committed wrongdoing would be helped and not expelled, and that it was only an absolutely LAST RESORT for someone to be disfellowshipped, someone who repeatedly refused help, someone who was effectively rejecting Jehoveh. I believed them and thus when individuals were disfellowshipped I trusted that this is what had occurred. It was a terrible shock to discover that this was all lies.

Loz x

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Loz - They tell lies about disfellowshipping.

Of course. It all depends on whether they like you or not and who you're related to.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Indeed, disfellowshiping has little to do with any actual transgressions. Whether they view you as repentant is so subjective. Disfellowshiping is more proof of low status in the KH and that you are beyond the social circle of the "in" crowd. My uncle by marriage constantly cheated on my aunt over the course of decades. She had endless meetings with the elders. He had been a Bethelite. When he decided to return, he was an overseer within a little time.

Men are valued more. They are scarcer.

JWs are a religion of mostly black women. Outsiders have commented on it. I don't understand the breakdown in this day and age. Why do men have better bs detectors than women?

Anyway, look at Bernie Madoff. Such prominent people fell for his scam. Unless the culture changed drastically after I left, a study should be enough to know they lie. I also don't understand the people wanting to revoke baptism. If you don't agree with them, it what does it matter?

While I understand that disfellowsihp can be painful, it opens up a much better future.

• tec
    tec

JWs are a religion of mostly black women. Outsiders have commented on it.

How do you come to this conclusion?

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit