Pioneering - the best job in the world!

by MMXIV 39 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

I knew quite a few pioneers who were on benefits and were careful on how much they earned so they could get the max from the government to pay for their rent and food. Not sure the householders would have been so keen to be told their taxes were going to people who knocked on their doors and told them they wouldn't live through armageddon because they loved money.

I know an elder/pioneer like that. He turned down a very good job b/c he had to work every other saturday morning.

His family of 5 lives off the food stamp program and other forms of welfare

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

feelings of depression were because I obviously had a guilty concience and needed to sort myself out and that my low hours were a sign of Jehovah's spirit not being with me

ambersun - your comments are spot on with this topic - exactly about what it is like to do the job of pioneering. Interesting logic from the CO - he din't approve of you so your hardships are a result of your guilt and lack of faith. If he did approve of you I'm sure your hardships would be a result of being tested because of your excellent faith.

Isn't it terrible you have to go through something so bad until you finally realise you are doing a pointless, thankless job. The lovebombing and recognition is all at the start - when people join or when they start pioneering - pretty soon you're on your own and just someone to complain about and victimise.

Sisters are certainly a lower class to males in the truth - that is what gets reinforced every meeting. As a young MS I'd take a FS group with experienced pioneer sisters and they had to listen to me just because i was male - rubbish. I've since worked for some amazingly talented women and I know that if they were JW's their skills and opinions would be worthless.

mmxiv

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I lasted two days as a pioneer. I went in and asked to be dropped as one the next opportunity I had. They told me that they would need a valid reason, and that it would need to be 'approved'. I walked out and just let them deal with it. I ended up being publicly reproved for the crime of quitting pioneering (although it was announced as something to the effect of not respecting the elders' authority). I don't think I ever really spent a real hour out in service ever since then.

• ambersun
    ambersun

This is such a brilliant thread, it is bringing back memories that I have suppressed or forgotten about for such a long time that I have suddenly realised that I need to amend a comment I made on my last post. When I said I never pioneered again, that is not quite true.

After the incident with the CO I actually found myself a full time job and proved so good at it that I worked my way up the ladder very quickly and was being groomed for a top position within the company. All was going well in my life for once! I absolutely loved that job, I was earning good money for the first time in my life, using my skills, and I was happy!

Then the alarm bells started ringing in my mother's head. My success was the result of the DEVIL leading me astray and putting temptation in my way. It had nothing at all to do with my personal talents and capabilities! She seemed to be constantly praying about it in front of me before I left for work in the morning or came home at night then kept on and on asking me if I had given my notice in yet.

I never got that position in the company because I was 'persuaded' to give up my job and return to pioneering before the devil could do any more damage. I kept the letter from my boss, following my resignation, for a long time. It spelled out in no uncertain terms what an idiot I was to give up such a good job and that I would never get that opportunity again. How right they were! I only pioneered for a short while second time round which is why I had forgotten about it until now. I couldn't stomach it any more.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

when I asked to come off as a pioneer thankfully I wasn't hounded out by a CO or burned-out. Just bored. I mentioned it to an elder after the meeting and his response was "ok". that was it. I was expecting a bit of drama - a "well we will need to discuss this with with the BOE and give you a shepherding call" or "well done for all your hard work". Something more than "ok". In hindsight I'm grateful of course not to have had a backlash.

I did have "some" good times on service - had a real laugh at times and got some confidence and equally I've had some terrible times at work but generally my first post is exactly what i think of pioneering and some of your experiences back this up!

thanks for sharing!

mmxiv

• Fed-up
    Fed-up

Pioneering=

Driving around. Coffee breaks. Chatting at the kingdom hall. Gossipping in car groups. "encouraging" the weak and inactive. "Studying" with the mentally ill and/or mentally handicapped. Driving around parking lots to do "alternative" witnessing. Guilt for not getting your time. Lying about how much time you spent in the "ministry". Cleaning jobs. Walmart part time. Paying for the C.O. to eat and drink. Never getting to sit down during a convention or assembly. Being constantly told you're a qualified teacher and NEVER feeling like one. Joy beyond belief teaching someone how to live forever. Shame and embarrassment when the teaching changes and you have to explain to the same people the B.S. of "an overlapping generation". (once a man looses his conviction, its better he never open his mouth again in support of something he no longer believes.)

How a parent can push thier child to pioneer is beyond me. The kid will waste his time (because most kids love doing that), drive around looking for ways to waste time, eat too many french fries, and pretend to knock on doors. JW youth are some of the most uninitiated and directionless people I've ever met. They are fed the lie, eat it because everything else is identified as poison, continue eating because that's all they're being fed, and wake up at some point so starved they'll eat ANYTHING, just because it's different. Their parents took them as far as Pioneering and expected Jehovah and the Organization to do the rest....Matt 6:33, right?

As others have mentioned, this thread brings up so much...and a little venting is bound to happen. We gave our youth to what turned out to be, at BEST an ORGANIZATION. At worst a haven for pedophiles. I'm sure the truth about it is somewhere in the middle.

-

“A Man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.”

? Benjamin Franklin

• MMXIV
    MMXIV
    Being constantly told you're a qualified teacher and NEVER feeling like one.

so true - i couldn't teach - i didn't know anything so how could i teach anything? It wasn't just my time i was wasting - a little bit of every householder i ever met.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Moshe, I did have this girl I met at an assembly dump me -->after she found out I was neither: a pioneer or bethellite

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

so, my point is that to the typical JW, pioneering has it's perks

• moshe
    moshe

DaCheech, I am sorry she didn't recognize your many talents- and you should have told her to call you by your nickname- tripod.-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit