How Long has it Been since you Last Attended Meetings and What Caused...

by flipper 152 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I stopped 11 years ago after these 3 illustrations were used at the assembly. I never went back after that first morning, not for a wedding or a funeral or the memorial to appease family.

Finally it was a circuit assembly comparing non-jw spouses to corpses (kissing a corpse), that we should be conditioned like young elephants to think we are weak and cannot leave, and that Jesus values shiny quarters over "dirty" pennies, that made me leave right that day and never go back

• d
    d

My last meeting was in November of 2008. I do not remeber much of the talk said but I knew I could do this any more. It has been five years and it feels good to be out.

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

December 2011 was my last meeting. I left laughing under my breath and shaking my head about how ridiculous the meeting was. They were reciting from the young people ask book about how we should act around members of the opposite sex. They said that NEVER under any circumstances should 2 people of the opposite sex who are not married, be alone with each other. Not even in a public place like a park or mall. Haha. Petty crimes and pathetic shit. So glad I have my sundays free now.

Nose

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was born-in and always hated it. When I was in elementary school, I used to pray to fit in better. My parents were not gung ho, except when it could be used as punishment. My gm and aunt were devout and were my haven. The more I learned in school, the more I realized they were not normal. I had many worldly friends and not a single Witness friend. I stopped believing in any matter by fourteen. My father would physically drag me to meetings. When he died, I told my mom she would have to call the police to drag me. My father was abusive so I feared dying at his hands. My family attended KH one time only and I stayed home. They never attended again.

It was a worry but my extended JW family still had dealings with us. They simply looked the other way. I accomodated their views. My aunt would have severe physical and emotional symptoms if someone questioned the Witnesses. Her body would shake. They were not open to discussion. I never felt free to discuss my work, friends, or interests while I sat through countless hours of Witness stuff with them.

I realized that from their viewpoint, they were risking their eternal lives. My love for them allowed me to sit through their preaching. It was not ideal but it was far better than complete shunning.

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for all the replies ! Keep these great experiences coming ! I'll reply individually later as I'm geting some household chores done. These related experiences will really help newer members I believe. Thanks for your expressions ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• titch
    titch

For me, it's been about 24 years since last attending any meetings on a regular basis. Oh, I've been to a few Memorials since then, but very few and far between. Now, as to what caused that? It was coming to the full, complete realization that the entire "belief system" of the JWs was NOT doing anything for me. It wasn't...it simply wasn't. And, I realized that THAT was the result of realizing that I simply have no spiritual hunger, no spiritual cravings, no spiritual yearnings, that NEED to be satisfied, or satiated by ANY religious belief system, any religious belief structure. Looking back in retrospect, I suppose that I didn't inherit what some people call the "god gene", the so-called gene that makes some people want to reach out and connect with some kind of deity (that may, or may not exist), or "super-natural" presence. 73 to one and all.

Titch

• nugget
    nugget

Last meeting was a COs visit in March 2010. I had read Crisis of Conscience and Steve Hassan's book and could barely manage to sit through it. I had already been limiting meeting attendance as the meetings were harmful to my son who has Aspergers and the late evenings and forced silence as well as the apocalyptic message played to all his fears. However once I knew about the lies and hypocrasy and could see the manipulation and control I was deeply offended by it and would not dream of taking my children back there.

Once we made the decision to walk away we wanted to get out and stay out.

• tif21
    tif21

I have not been to a meeting since 1984.

• moshe
    moshe

BOTR--

I realized that from their viewpoint, they were risking their eternal lives.

So true- and in their mind, that justifies all their mistreatment of anyone who doesn't toe the line at the KH.

I am sorry you had such a wacked out JW family- I wish the government would pay some attention to the child abuse the JWs get away with- they have a vested interest in having a family produce productive citizens for society- not productive drones for the WT Society.

• jam
    jam

My daughter,s wedding, 1989.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit