US Entitlement Programs At Glance

by Scott77 46 Replies latest social current

• Scott77
    Scott77

What are you trying to do, get the girls(beks bizzy and sammie) stirred up?
    sooner7nc

Hi sooner7nc, Its amazing that finally at last, beks is here to join in the great discussion. I know this topics affects all of us in one way or another. kurtbethel, what is your point?

Scott77

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Wow, I have been summoned

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Anyone who believes our problems have ANYTHING to do with SS is a brainwashed tool. Medicare is problematic, but still..........................nothing like the cost of catering to the wealthy.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Billions are wasted on military spending. There are many grants given out where people could find private funds for their studies. The wealthy get too many tax breaks and loopholes.

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...Medicare and social security aren't entitlements, though politicians mistakenly call them entitlements..."
    FlyingHighNow

FHN, I may be incorrect but my understanding is that, Medicare and Social Security are considered entittlements by policians in that, when some beneficiaries get the benefits without having worked first to 'earn' the right the benefit. Its like you only earn what you have worked or saved into the system.

Scott77

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

More people pay into the system their whole lives though, than don't. I sure pay into them every paycheck.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Social security is supposed to be self contained, like the highway trust funds. Money paid in is what goes out, with it not being diverted to anything else, nor it diverting funds from any other budget item. As long as this is respected, it will never have any so called crisis. Usually when someone says it is in crisis, it is because they want to tinker with that simple formula and are trying to scheme a way to get access to the fund for their own ends. Social security doesn't promise you anything specific beyond that it will pay you some benefits when certain conditions are met. The amount it collects can be changed, and the amounts it pays out can be adjusted, so that it is always liquid as long as someone outside of it doesn't raid it.

I don't happen to like it, or think it is the best way to fund retirement, but that is personal. My dad worked hard his whole life and paid in, then when he died it paid a paltry sum and everything else he paid in was evaporated, so my siblings and I were denied what would have been our inheritance. My personal grudge aside, if not tampered with by robber barons, social security is on a solid financial footing.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The United States needs a new tax base. It should be a penny-a-stock transaction tax. Not an income tax, or a sales tax, but a transaction tax on the stock market. Let the investors pay for the United States. Many are rich foreign countries we owe money to anyhow.

• Tater-T
  • kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Tater-T

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit