US Entitlement Programs At Glance

by Scott77 46 Replies latest social current

• Scott77
    Scott77

1. Thirty-nine percent of adults who make more than $100,000 have used entitlement benefits at one point, compared with 70 percent of people who make less than $30,000, according to the Pew study.

The average monthly food stamp benefit is $133.42 for an individual, according to the Department of Agriculture, which administers the program. The rate is highest in Hawaii ($213.65) and lowest in Minnesota ($115.98). In fiscal year 2012, 46.6 million people (in 22.3 million households) received food stamps, and the federal government spent $74.6 billion on the program that year.

Welfare recipients can receive benefits for a maximum of 60 months during their lifetime. With a few exceptions, able-bodied adults are required to participate in work or work-training in order to receive benefits.

The average number of monthly welfare recipients reached 4.6 million in 2011, benefiting an average of 1.9 million families.

President Lyndon B. Johnson established Medicare under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act.

Medicare does not cover the entire cost of all medical expenses or most long-term care. For those eligible, Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) is available without a premium, and Part B (medical insurance) is available for a monthly premium of about $100.

In 2014, people younger than 65 with an income of less than $15,000 for a single individual (and slightly higher income cutoffs for couples and families with children) will be eligible for Medicaid. The federal government and states are still debating how to cover the cost for the program's potential growth. In 2011, 52.6 million Americans were receiving Medicaid. The federal government spent $272.8 billion on the program in 2010, and state governments spent $116.3 billion, totaling $389.1 billion.

Benefits are based on a percentage of a person's recent earnings and are capped at 26 weeks, in most cases. There are different requirements for federal civilian employees and ex-service members, as well as in cases of high unemployment and in disaster areas.

The federal government and states paid a combined total of $117.2 billion for unemployment benefits in 2011.

SSI provides income support to elderly, blind, or disabled adults, and to blind or disabled children with limited income and resources. The program is funded by general tax revenue and not Social Security taxes.

People who are eligible for Social Security include retired workers (62 and older) and their families as well as survivors of deceased workers, and disabled workers and their families.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act into law on Aug. 14, 1935. The original legislation created a payment program for retired workers 65 and older, unemployment insurance, old-age assistance, aid to dependent children, and state grants for providing medical care.

In 2011, the government paid $731 billion in Social Security benefits to 35.6 million retired workers, 2.9 million retired workers' spouses, 6.3 million deceased workers' spouses, and 10.6 million disabled workers.

Ninety-seven percent of adults 65 and older have received an entitlement benefit during their lives, compared with 33 percent of adults under the age of 30, according to the Pew survey.

Fifty-five percent of Americans have received benefits from one of the six major entitlement programs, according to a recent Pew Research Center study.

The breakdown: 21 percent of the budget went to health care (Medicare, Medicaid); 20 percent to Social Security, and 13 percent to the safety net programs, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

In the East, 58 percent of people say they have used at least one entitlement program compared with 55 percent in the South, 54 percent in the West, and 53 percent in the Midwest.

Rural residents disproportionately benefit from entitlement programs, with 62 percent having received benefits, compared with 54 percent of urban and 53 percent of suburban dwellers.

In the presidential election, 53 percent of people who said they voted for Mitt Romney have received entitlement benefits in their lifetime. For President Obama, the number was 59 percent.

More than one in four adults (27 percent) claim to have received unemployment assistance at some point. The figure is 26 percent for Social Security, 22 percent for Medicare, 18 percent for food stamps, 11 percent for Medicaid, and 8 percent for welfare.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

What are you trying to do, get the girls(beks bizzy and sammie) stirred up?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What percentage of the population benefit from the home mortgage deduction? Of course there are limits on it. You can only deduct the interest on mortages under $1MILLION. (Nice house!) But it can also apply to 2nd homes, even if they are yachts or motorcoaches.

I don't see anything wrong with the struggling middle class taxpayer paying to subsidize my mansion and my yacht.

I only see it as a problem when I am subsidizing YOUR yacht.

Of course, these are not referred to as "entitlements". It's just good tax planning.

Doc

• wasblind
    wasblind

Bizzybee, Beks and Sammies Wife

• Scott77
    Scott77

What are you trying to do, get the girls(beks bizzy and sammie) stirred up?
    sooner7nc

I wanted to show to those Liberal diehards the current state of US. entittlement. I do not know if Ramney had won the presidency, all those entittlements would have been slashed or eliminated altogether.

Scott77

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

In 2014, people younger than 65 with an income of less than $15,000 for a single individual (and slightly higher income cutoffs for couples and families with children) will be eligible for Medicaid. The federal government and states are still debating how to cover the cost for the program's potential growth. In 2011, 52.6 million Americans were receiving Medicaid. The federal government spent $272.8 billion on the program in 2010, and state governments spent $116.3 billion, totaling $389.1 billion.

Number seven is wrong. There may be others that are wrong, but I didn't bother to read any farther after discovering the first error.

Number seven is referring to the ACA's Medicaid expansion, which the SCOTUS ruled unconstitutionally coercive. Therefore, each state can decide whether or not it wants to cover this group of people.

If the state chooses to implement the expansion, the federal gov't will reimburse the state 100% of the costs of the new participants, droppping down to 90% in (I think) 2020. However, this group of people do not get full Medicaid benefits; they get only the "essential benefits" contained in the the Bronze plans listed in the Exchanges.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Looks like the bulk of the money is in Social Security. What's your opinion on how people over 65 who maybe didn't earn that much, maybe were living from check to check for a long time, should sustain themselves?

--sd-7

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make. Are you ticked off at all those people getting money from the government support programs?

I guess you should break it down a tad more if that's the case.

Social security was paid into - people deserve to get it back. Now we can quibble that it has moved to include disabled and survivors etc, but that again is another issue.

Medicare is also paid into by workers. Those people deserve to get it back in service and once again, since we now include Medicaid, that is another isse.

Unemployment - well - I think the US system is rather crap - both the employee and the employer should be paying into the insurance plan, not just the employer. In that way, it is a plan paid for by the employee as well and that means that the employer doesn't get to have the final say in whether or not a person is entitled to get benefits if they quit a job because some jerk harassed them. It would also be more fair to the employer.

Welfare - don't understand how it says you can only collect 60 months. If that is the case, then how come we keep hearing about welfare queens and generations of welfare users and single mothers being on it 18 years. I am confused on that one.

Food stamps - well - since the government subsidizes big ag you can get your food pretty cheap. I'm all for halting all subsidies to major corporations and companies and letting people realize the real cost of food but that won't happen.

Now see, somehow some people on here keep bringing my name up and applying some sort of 'belief' or 'attitude' that is extremely liberal toward these programs. Thats pretty funny because its somehow a presumption that if I have an opinion that isn't hard core right that I surely must be hardcore left. Pretty funny. If you care to ask what I would do and what I really think - just ask. Don't presume to know. sammieswife

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Welfare - don't understand how it says you can only collect 60 months. If that is the case, then how come we keep hearing about welfare queens and generations of welfare users and single mothers being on it 18 years. I am confused on that one.

Most of the information, and I use the term loosely, concerning "welfare queens" comes from the Right, and it is presented in a misleading fashion.

At issue is the TANF program, which generally prohibits providing federal block grant funds for longer than 60 months. However, there is usually a corollary state program, and the terms of the state programs vary greaty. For more information on the federal program, you might find the following link and article helpful.

http://www.mdrc.org/update-state-welfare-time-limit-policies-and-their-effects-families

Federal law affords states great flexibility in setting time-limit policies. The federal 60-month limit does not apply to state-funded benefits; also, states may use federal TANF funds to support up to 20 percent of the caseload beyond 60 months. Thus, states may set a 60-month time limit, a shorter limit, or no time limit, and they may choose to exempt families from time limits. Not surprisingly, time-limit policies vary dramatically from state to state. Other key findings from the study include:

• Nationally, a large proportion of TANF households are not subject to time limits, but time limits play a key role in some states. About 44 percent of TANF households are not subject to federal or state time limits because they are “child-only cases” — typically, children living with a relative or families in which the parent is not eligible for benefits. In addition, about half of TANF families live in states that rarely or never close families’ cases because of time limits. On the other hand, a quarter of TANF families live in states that usually terminate benefits after 60 months, and nearly as many are in states with shorter limits.
  • wasblind
    wasblind

Now see, somehow some people on here keep bringing my name up and applying some sort of 'belief' or 'attitude' that is extremely liberal toward these programs. Thats pretty funny because its somehow a presumption that if I have an opinion that isn't hard core right that I surely must be hardcore left. Pretty funny. If you care to ask what I would do and what I really think - just ask. Don't presume to know. ____ sammieswife

My remark wasn't to offened you Sammieswife , It was meant as a compliment

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit