US Entitlement Programs At Glance

by Scott77 46 Replies latest social current

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Scott -- what is the source of your information in the first post?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I agree Hortensia - in regards to unemployment I think the employee/employer should both pay into it equally. I consider unemployment as more 'insurance' against job loss - temporary or otherwise - and so the employee should pay into it as well.

I do though think that there are too many divisions within each social program that could be more effectively managed if they were rolled into fewer segments.

On the other hand I think we are moving into a period of history where we are all going to have to stop looking at employment as a means to survival. There are only so many jobs that can be had and nobody wants to talk about that - this is leaving more people with less work and so, until we address that issue - coupled with a growing population - unemployment will rise, living standards will be lowered from what we are used to - except for a world war that resets the standars everywhere - or a total global corporate takeover - I don't see an end to a massive problem of how to continue on as we are. sammieswife

• JeffT
    JeffT

It would be nice if employees and employers split the cost of unemployment insurance

Doesn't make any difference who pays it. It's going to be considered as part of the cost of having an employee and will be figured into all discussions of hiring and what to pay him/her, along with mediare, medicaid, workman's comp, both parts or social security etc. As an accountant I've participated in lots of these calculations

In other words, the company is going to charge it to employee expenses.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I agree Hortensia - in regards to unemployment I think the employee/employer should both pay into it equally. I consider unemployment as more 'insurance' against job loss - temporary or otherwise - and so the employee should pay into it as well.

Wait. Stop. Think about it. When your employer hires you, your salary is based with unemployment insurance in mind. The boss earns more money off you, than you are paid. Your boss offsets taxes, fees, insurance premiums by cutting it from your salary. The government requires that your boss pays workman's comp and unemployment insurance premiums and that he matches your social security payroll deduction. Believe me, we all pay for our unemployment insurance.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

In other words, the company is going to charge it to employee expenses.

Exactly and anyone of us who has ever run a company knows this. Unemployment is not an entitlement.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I ran a company and paid payroll for 20 years. I know whereof I speak. One of the things that pissed me off was that someone who no longer worked for me and was laid off two jobs after working for me, would still be paid partly through my unemployment account. I paid the maximum for unemployment, because people who formerly worked for me were getting laid off from other jobs.

Oh well. It costs money to run a company. BTW, I don't think I said that unemployment insurance is an entitlement benefit.

I had to laugh when you said that the boss makes more money off the employee than the employee is paid.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hortensia askes, "Scott -- what is the source of your information in the first post?"
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2012/1231/How-much-do-you-know-about-US-entitlement-programs-Take-our-quiz/Percentage-of-US-recipients

The above link has a tittle "

How much do you know about US entitlement programs? Take our quiz.

- Allison Terry, a Christian Science Monitor Correpsondent is the author. Please, take the test knowledge and see how you score.

Scott77

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I had to laugh when you said that the boss makes more money off the employee than the employee is paid.

Why did you laugh? You have employees to increase your profits. If you aren't making enough profits to more than pay for your employees' wages, taxes and benefits, then you have too many employees. The company I work for charges double my hourly wage for what I do. The only benefit anyone, who is not management, gets is nothing. We don't get vacation pay, holiday pay, nada. Here's the deal, most of us are never going to draw unemployment benefits either.

Why did you have to pay unemployment on employees who moved onto other jobs? When you are in business for yourself, you know that unemployment insurance is a requirement for your employees. Most of your employees will never draw unemployment. When you decide on compensation though, you're going to defray the cost of the insurance premiums, to all of your employees. You might technically be able to pay your employees $18 per hour, but choose to pay them $9 to offset workman's comp, unemployment ins, your part of SS, etc.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

CODB. Get over it.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Everyone should send me money.

Right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit