GENESIS- Adam, Eve, Noah, etc. and Original Sin

by Band on the Run 133 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

Inkie - don't bother ganging up on BOTR on behalf of your guru.

You are so transparent.

• jgnat
    jgnat

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." - US Declaration of Independence

"Equality rights: (section 15): equal treatment before and under the law, and equal protection and benefit of the law without discrimination." - Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

"GOAL 3: PROMOTE GENDER EQUALITY AND EMPOWER WOMEN - Target 3.A: Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education, preferably by 2005, and in all levels of education no later than 2015 " - United Nations

It is possible, isn't it, that we have raised our expectations about equality from bible times?

• Inkie
    Inkie

Cofty: Is not "transparancy" a good thing?

• Inkie
    Inkie

Cofty: Since when is asking a simple question "ganging up"? Band on the Run answered the question quite succintly.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    PROMOTE GENDER EQUALITY AND EMPOWER WOMEN

Interesting. Why "promote" something that already exists... and "empower" women to something they already posses? Spiritually, it does ("There is neither Jew nor Greek... male nor female"...). Physically (as in, of THIS world)... not so much. Why IS that, do you think?

A slave of Christ,

SA

• jgnat
    jgnat

• For girls in some regions, education remains elusive
    • Poverty is a major barrier to education, especially among older girls
    • In every developing region except the CIS, men outnumber women in paid employment
    • Women are largely relegated to more vulnerable forms of employment
    • Women are over-represented in informal employment, with its lack of benefits and security
    • Top-level jobs still go to men — to an overwhelming degree
    • Women are slowly rising to political power, but mainly when boosted by quotas and other special measures

http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/gender.shtml

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Technically, if neither male nor female exists, then equality cannot exist between the sexes. It is logically impossible.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Shelby believes the dominion over women and "birth pangs" in lieu of labor and pain control are a good thing. This is not so different from fundamentalist Christian belief. I should say hard core fundie belief. Yet she knows you are male. She has the gall to "teach" you. One of the regular features of this forum are Shelby's missives to men. Yet she does post an avatar of a photo where she wears a head covering.

Inequality is a preferale state. Notice there is no reasoning behind the statement. Slavery is now a wonderful concept.

Since most women here believe equality is a good and natural state, let alone our common const'l rights (all common law countries) which are above mere law, we can address you, a male, as an equal. If there were another term for brother, without the JW lingo, I would embrace it. You are a peer/colleague to me rather than a God/Father.

I believe I am a bit older than Shelby. During my early years in public school, the nightly news covered the civil rights movement in the South. I saw wave after wave of little school children and adults in meticulous outfits marching and being met by vicious police dogs and painful water hoses. It resembled Gandhi's campaign in India. Civil rights workers were murdered. Lynchings were ubiquitous. The American and French revolutions are examples of what happens when inequity prevails. The French Revolution was very bloody.

I would expect a call to inequality of the sexes on an Iranian forum.

Anyway, I just wanted to be certain you were aware of your male majesty within our common once JW culture. A woman teaching men? We know what the consequences are. JAH will not be pleased. Neither will Jehovjesmacallit.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm puzzled. Is your point that Israel was a shining example of equality even by modern standards but you just can't prove it because the bible can't be trusted?

I am saying that, depending on how one views that bible, one is to expect certian things based on that preconceived notion.

It may make sense that, if one views the bible as the inerrant word of God WITHOUT compromise as to whom it was directed, who wrote it and who transmitted/copied it, AND IF God is a just and loving God , that the bible would state the equality ( in soem form) between Man and Women.

Big IF IMO.

Truth is that there has never been and will never be equality between Man and Women IN GENERAL.

Something men do better trypiclaly and others things women do better typically.

What we are discussing is really equality of rights and that view is always subjective to the time and culture and, based on that, what we find in the bible is what would be expected of the ANE people BUT with SOME progression compared to their neighbours since, supposedly, Israel was set apart from them TO BE ( not already was) the people of God ( A theocratic culture/people/society).

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm pretty sure we were talking about equal rights. Rather than subjective I would say the public view has been progressive.

Canadian women got the vote in 1919. We haven't even reached the 100th anniversary yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit