GENESIS- Adam, Eve, Noah, etc. and Original Sin

by Band on the Run 133 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
  • AGuest
    AGuest

On second thought, an entirely different thread might be best. My apologies to the OP.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• jgnat
    jgnat

BOTR, it's not so much anti-woman as women don't matter. I don't think this is a problem only in the Judeo-Christian group.

On a completely different note, I've always been fascinated with this creation myth:

And on a final discordant note, I've always been comfortable with story, legend, fables, fairy tales and myth. I fairly devoured Grimm's Fairy Tales as a child. Out of these often violent and tremendous stories comes a common culture, a shared story-telling. So what if they aren't factual? It's not like I went out and grew my hair twenty feet to snare my prince charming, or threw water on my evil stepmother.

“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    G.K. Chesterton

• Stealth
    Stealth

Taking a literall view of Genesis as history is crazy with all of the physical evidence that humans and civilizations were on earth far before the bible account of Genesis.

If you can't trust the very first book in the bible as being true, then why should you put trust in any other parts of this book?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

BOTR, it's not so much anti-woman as
    women don't matter

One of the ten commandments is to honour the father AND the mother, how can women NOT matter?

Some women liek Esther and Ruth and Jael had prominentate stories in the OT.

• glenster
    glenster

An agnostic response is one reaction, but a liberal believer's response is as
    well without harm.

A possible interpretation of Gen. (vs. the GB stances): Edit > Find > Dowsing
    for evidence
    http://glenster1.webs.com/gtjbrooklyn1acont.htm

A possible interpretation of Gen. and Jesus (vs. the GB stances): Edit > Find
    > Ransom
    http://glenster1.webs.com/gtjbrooklyn8.htm

The Colbert Report Wed, Jan 9, 2013, 3rd segment Neil Shubin "The Universe
    Within: Discovering the Common History of Rocks, Planets, and People"
    http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/443637

• jgnat
    jgnat

PSacramento, regardless of the glittering exceptions, women were not equal under the law.

• cofty
    cofty

Women are possessions in the OT and not much better in the NT.

To compare the place of women in Israel with that of women other ANE societies is pointless for anybody who believes Israel was led by god.

It ought to been a shining example of equality even by the most enlightened modern standards.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSacramento, regardless of the glittering exceptions, women were not equal under the law.

Quite correct and even men have different positions under the Law.

Equality really isn't a big concern in the OT Laws.

• cofty
    cofty

Equality really isn't a big concern in the OT Laws

Why not?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit