GENESIS- Adam, Eve, Noah, etc. and Original Sin

by Band on the Run 133 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

There used to be this radio show called "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Gallaxy." The story was turned into a book series by Douglas Adams - Sab

Too funny.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

jgant,

The book is more of an essay. The publisher also included some translation of Genesis in the appendix. It is a great deal if you purchase it used. If I paid full price, I would have been annoyed. Ah, the beauty of the vanishing book stores where one can skim the book.

Did you read A History of God? She linked all the great religions today to econonmic trends in the Iron Age. It was amazing how these all these religions that exist today developed during the same period of time. There are so many similarities. Books and articles focus on the differences. It was news to me.

Sab,

Copyright law. It is tragic that people believe a film or web site takes the place of academic scholarship. Altho a gem, such as Liincoln, might emerge, the content is dumbed down for the masses.

Madeleine L'Engle was a friend. She once explained to me that A Wrinkle in Time combined her interest in astrology and astronomy. I don't know about astrology but the night sky must have been important to ancient peoples. We love stars. Altho I used to read astrology predictions in fashion magazines, they are nonsensical. The writing uses weasal words. A host of events could fit the vague language. I also note this with psychics such as John Edwards and Sylvia Browne. The info they relay is useless.

• cofty
    cofty

You're right EP the radio show was first. The script was written by Adam's though.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    A legend in your own mind, I see. Not even the satanic publishers of this stuff understands you. Read a novel by Andre Norton and get back to me.

Really, jgnat? I could get a publishing deal pretty easily. I abstain because they are devils (1 Tim 6:10).

Copyright law. It is tragic that people believe a film or web site takes the place of academic scholarship. Altho a gem, such as Liincoln, might emerge, the content is dumbed down for the masses.

You seem to be confused. I am not against academic scholarship, I am against social/political agenda's using academic scholarship to make money by stiring up public opinion in vain. Such as Armstrong's In the Beginning propaganda created by a devilish publisher. Scholarship is changing along with everything else in the universe at the moment. Publishing houses will become a thing of the past. The internet will house all scientific opinion eventually. Right now information is being delegated by the wrong entities and the lack of quality shows. It's despicable to me that I have to pay money to read details I need to know in order to make an informed decision. It can all be free and available to the people, but greed gets in the way, like usual.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty
    The internet will house all scientific opinion eventually

In science nobody is interested in opinions.

• bohm
    bohm

Sab: Really, jgnat? I could get a publishing deal pretty easily. I abstain because they are devils (1 Tim 6:10).

Sorry, it need to be said - if you think michael Crichton is the worlds greatest science fiction author -- you might be good, but you wouldnt know it.

And you should really try to see what actually happends in academia before you condemn it.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sorry, it need to be said - if you think michael Crichton is the worlds greatest science fiction author -- you might be good, but you wouldnt know it.

You seem to have a temporary reading comprehension issue. I said Crichton was one of the greats in scifi, not THE greatest. It really isn't debatable outside of a drunken bar argument. He was a great and unique scifi writer. His synergy between fast paced action story telling and believable science set him apart from the pack. His books often had sizable bibliographies. I agree that his characters were a bit shallow, but that's a style issue, not a competency issue. He never set out to create rich and memorable characters, but ideas that provided unmatched entertainment that tantalize the scientific mind. If you want character development he's not your author. If you want an exhilarating ride based in science he's your man.

-Sab

• bohm
    bohm

Sab: Sam harris has a blog post on the future of books, and how to publish:

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-future-of-the-book/

• sabastious
    sabastious
    In science nobody is interested in opinions.

I tend to disagree simply because science never says it has the answer, but only the best one while factoring in all known evidence. Therefore, any concrete answer is going to exist side by side with a bunch of ideas that could be the actual answer, but lack the evidence. Scientific opinion is actually more valuable to the public than scientific fact, because in order to call something a scientific opinion it has to follow at least some sort of loose scientific standard. Otherwise it's just called opinion. For example a geologist's opinion on some rock theory will be more scientific than someone who doesn't know anything about geology. This is because the geologist will still be able to apply the scientific method when generating opinion and will know which ideas don't work at all as opposed to the layperson. Therefore it's in the best interests of the layperson to consult the expert's opinion while considering the factors. The problem right now is that that relationship goes through too many analog methods which makes it expensive and hinders the educative process. Without the middle men (publishing firms) the relationship between expert and layperson will be much more effective in regards to education. The internet fixes this problem, but the problem of greed is a brick wall.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sab: Sam harris has a blog post on the future of books, and how to publish:

When I publish my stuff it will be a blog and will be free for anybody who wants to read it. I am content making my money selling my body on the street.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit