California TV Personality Huell Howser Dead at Age 67

by kurtbethel 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I think he must have known more about every square inch of California than anyone else.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I guess people from California are more likely to have heard of him since he was California TV Personality.

Well, yes. It's in the thread title.

Plan a Road Trip in Huell's honor. In southern California there are great parts of Route 66, Hwy 101 and Old Hwy 395.

You bet! I am about a quarter mile from the really old 395, where it originally snaked from Escondido to Vista and then snaked through Bonsall and then east to the current route. I have been on the entire length of 395, even the parts where it veers into Nevada through Carson City and Reno, then on up into Susanville and on to Alturas. Huell knew the California that I know, like Julian, Encinitas and Bodega Bay. I would love to have his job, going about with the camera and poking around all these places, but I don't have his charm or presence that made his documentaries special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99Ek4YtTuw

• eva luna
    eva luna

Kurtbethel..

Mentioning Bodega Bay makes me want to cry. Spent many a summers there, Jenner and Gurenville too.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Kurtbethel..

Mentioning Bodega Bay makes me want to cry. Spent many a summers there, Jenner and Gurenville too.

No way! I was born in Sebastopol, and went to kindergarten at Guerneville elementary school. Then there was Korbel, Armstrong redwoods park, and Johnson's beach on the Russian river. Hmmm....I am really going to have to put up galleries of my photos of these places.

• eva luna
    eva luna

kurtbethel,

No Way x2

We had a cabin in Gurenville...(i always called it Gureniville )

Spent many mornings fishing on the Russian River, mostly catching Carp. Afternoons swimming.

Do you remember the go-cart tract? The old movie house ? The Indian Jewelry Shop. The owner was a family friend.

Small world. I would love to see your photos.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Aw, I remember the "avocado dog."

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

kurtbethel,

No Way x2

We had a cabin in Gurenville...(i always called it Gureniville )

Spent many mornings fishing on the Russian River, mostly catching Carp. Afternoons swimming.

Do you remember the go-cart tract? The old movie house ? The Indian Jewelry Shop. The owner was a family friend.

Small world. I would love to see your photos.

Well...I lived there from 1960-1966, and went back to visit many times since then. There wasn't a go cart track then. There was the River theater, King's Sporting goods, and a slot car track that ate up my older brothers' spare cash, and that tiny substantial looking bank on the corner. We lived down the road in Guernewood Park, on Guernewood Lane. There was a miniature golf place there way back when, and a bowling alley. Also, there was a quicksilver (mercury) mine north of town. Plus, it floods there big time. Last time I was there was in 2006.

• eva luna
    eva luna

Kurtbethel... Flooding, thats were I learned what it was. It seemed like the curbs were 2 feet high.

We had the cabin during the 60's until Armagedon ( i mean 1975) If I remember correctly, your area would be about 10 minutes before the town of Guerenville. My brother and I would say 'are we there yet?!' at about that time.

I havent been there in years , but I have very good memories . Like when my brother was playing with our fish that were chained on a spike in the river. He couldnt resist playing with it and it all came loose and the fish went swimming down the river . My dad chased my brother instead of the fish. I'm laughing now just thinking of it. Oh and as we got more mischievous, getting kicked out of the gocart track for playing bumper cars.

I dont remember the mines. But it must have been fun living there. I know I never wanted to go home.

• Dagney
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you Dagney. I didn't personally know Huell but I'm gonna miss him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit