California TV Personality Huell Howser Dead at Age 67

by kurtbethel 44 Replies latest jw friends

• CADSkin
    CADSkin

Best episode I ever saw was Huell interviewing a toothless resident of El Centro (I think) about the rocks out in front of his trailer. He picks up a grey rock and says “What kind of rock would you say this is?” “Gravel.” That’s A-MAY-Zing”

• minimus
    minimus

hmm....never heard of him

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

hmm....never heard of him

Well I didn't suppose those TV signals would get all the way over to Outer Boondockistan.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Best episode I ever saw was Huell interviewing a toothless resident of El Centro (I think) about the rocks out in front of his trailer. He picks up a grey rock and says “What kind of rock would you say this is?” “Gravel.” That’s A-MAY-Zing” Yep. That was Huell. I think he may have been the only guy who could pull it off that way without sounding hokey. I think he was able to channel some genuine amazement about nearly anything ordinary.

• minimus
    minimus

i liked his shirt.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I think he was able to channel some genuine amazement about nearly anything ordinary.

Samantha Brown who used to be on the Travel Channel was able to do that too - this is an old city fountain...WOW!!! This is my hotel room...WOW!!!

• undercover
    undercover

Never heard of him either

but condolences to his family and many admirers and fans. Apparently he was pretty pop'lar out thar in Calafornee

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I liked the show. Huell would go to places that most tourists and natives would miss. He did a show about a company in the city of Lincoln which is about 10 minutes away from me, that did the plaster facades for Stanford University. The company is close to being a hundred years old (I think its over a hundred) and its still there.

He also did a couple of shows about the salt flats of south San Franciso Bay which I lived close to as a child. I learn that there had been a little bohemian village out the on the flats near Newark. Had no idea that was out there.

Oh and he did a show about looking for the exact center of the state of California. Turns out its somewhere in the Sierra foothills in Madrea county where my parents grew up.

I always learned something new about California watching that show.

• eva luna
    eva luna

Mrs. Jones.

I remember the one about the Salt Flates too. Something I never new .

Also there was one were he went up to the top of the Tans America Buidling in The City. Or my, I have a fear of heights.

Another one was about the highest bridge in CA. While interviewing some walkers , he waived to a man riding his bike on the other side of the rode and ended up interviewing him. too. I loved his spontaneity.

His enthusiam was infectious, as was his smile.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I've seen many episodes of California's Gold and loved them. It was one of my favorite shows on PBS.

I am stunned that he is gone at only 67 years old.

California Here I Come was the theme song of his show. Here is a version of it, with Huell singing the lead and showing a bit of his limitless enthusiasm. The youthful band and backup singers adds a nice touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAYcHUP2iE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit