Something weird from my mom

by doublelife 20 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

Earlier today, I posted a picture on facebook of me reuniting with a couple of my childhood friends. We all grew up together in the KH. I, unfortunely, was the only one stupid enough to get baptised. Anyways, we were celebrating one of my friend's birthdays in the picture. Just now, I checked my email, and my mom sent me a link to an online article from The Restored Church of Christ about "Are Birthday Celebrations Christian?" I just thought it was odd that she's looking at religious material from other cults to back up her own cult's beliefs. And there were a couple of JWs that she sent this email to, it wasn't just me.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I don't think it's that strange. JWs love to find proof that other religions back up their crazy beliefs.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Not strange at all. We use different Bible translations that are backed by different faiths, why not ideas?

• doublelife
    doublelife

I don't know, maybe it's not weird for most JWs. But when I was going to the meetings, she would've never snooped around at other religion's literature for fear of being confused. But it's been a few years. I guess she's changed.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I think it's weird, lol. This sort of thing wouldn't have happened before the internet arrived. I think a lot of Witnesses are searching the Net for all kinds of things, and Watchtower will never again have the exclusive influence it once enjoyed. (hopefully)

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

As a JW I would have thought it was helping to back up claims made by the WT. "See, our beliefs are even recognized as correct by people without understanding so it should be obvious to us!"

Now as an ex-JW I realize the hypocrisy of such thinking.

• Scully
    Scully

I think it's strange from the point of view that JWs believe that they are the only belief system that practices Christianity™ properly, and yet your mom is using material from what she would consider to be a False Religion™ to support her own faith.

Since when does Truth™ need a lie to back it up?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

How many other beliefs does she share with this LDS sect?

Is she fearful that someone might have been beheaded at this party?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That's why you should never befriend a mum on facebook.

If it supports their belief they will use it, if it contradicts their believe, then it is wrong and from Satan. Selective hypocrisy.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It's called confirmation bias. Read stuff that backs up your own beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit