JWs say it's my fault I didn't go to university ?!

by ekruks 51 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Aware!
    Aware!

The few JWs in my Hall going to college are also pioneering (except me!). I guess they're doing it so they won't get reproached (or "lose their spirituality"), and even then I'm the only one going to a four-year college (because two years is a long time?!).

I'm told it's a waste of time and that it's like painting a boat that's about to sink. And if I try to encourage young JWs to go to college, I get rebuked. I could lose my "privileges", so says the BOE letter. Not that I care, but my stepdad is an elder.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Just keep doing your thing Aware!. Time is on your side, so keep focusing on your future free from the intimidation and fear.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

What letter says this?

• jgnat
    jgnat

A boat that isn't maintained is destined to sink! Keep painting your boat.

• Aware!
    Aware!

"...I wish I had been to university when I was a teenager, and put all that pioneer time into studying hard for a good grade, get a good job, and if I had wound up tired as I am now, at least I would have been paying into a mortgage on a home and pension."

Ekruks, I forgot to add this in my first reply, but I know what you mean. I have asked older JWs that lived through the 1975 fiasco if they remember anything, and it's as if nothing happened. How does someone forget their past?!

Billy- Yeah, that's what keeps me going so far. Only a year and a half left to finish my bachelor...

problemaddict- I think it's this one: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/223283/1/BOE-March-6-2012

jgnat- Thank you for that comeback. I'll be using it now lol

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its not like the WTS. ever lied about something.

I see more and more lies coming of the WTS. these days.

I guess thats all they're left with after so many years of being diligently corrupt and devious.

• biometrics
    biometrics

The entire like JW culture is based upon adherents NOT thinking and obeying the FDS. So naturally when they discourage higher education followers obey. The culture is also about denying e.g. when they say "No one said you can't go to university" it's probably technically correct, but the reality is all cult members were directed not to go to university.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A recent talk by GB member G. Losch stated that going to University is like putting a gun to your head.

The talk is on Youtube I believe.

Found it ....

Once again the WTS. leaders use the tactic of fear to control people.

They truly are great exploiters and manipulators of this one particular human psychological emotion.

One could say they solely built an entire Kingdom by using this one particular element of human conscious awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4BL_HzHjZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B7DRwti-H4

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

What a twat.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Yes, Losch said there was a young man who had OCD and was so disturbed by it that he put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. However, not only did he live, but the bullet changed the part of his brain that controlled the OCD, so that he no longer had it. The point is that because he survived it and was normal, would we recommend that treatment to other people with OCD? Similarly, just because some witnesses have gone to college and remained "in the truth" doesn't mean we should recommend it.

AM3 also gave a talk saying we are pro-education - we are just selective about who does the educating. lol... He also warned that no matter what you major in they force you to take "Philosophy 1 and Philosophy 2" and "then all of a sudden it gets in there and the intellectual gripping of the mind, very hard to recover from," and that he could tell you all kinds of "horror stories" about this kind of thing. After all, only the GB should teach you how to think, not your philosophy class. If anyone is going to be doing "gripping of the mind", it's got to be the GB!

Edit: I see you added the Losch video, excuse my summary. Here is the link to the AM3 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZCnEuuAjvg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit