How many went from christian to something else?

by Satanus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• finally awake
    finally awake

I started out Methodist, converted to JW, escaped and am now agnostic with atheist leanings.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I was still an elder looking for a way out of the borg when I joined here. I believed in god, and still thought the JW's had a lot right. Before I looked at different forms of Christianity I read the god delusion. My eyes were opened and began to see...........

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Around 12 years ago I came here using my real name. I had left Jehovah's Witnesses 15 years before that. At the time I was undecided about Christianity and ‘God.’ I now realise that I do not believe in ‘God.’ I do not say ‘God’ does not exist as there are so many opinions on what ‘God’ is and I have no authority to objectively state that ‘God’ does not exist. I simply do not personally believe ‘God’ exists, which is a subjective view.

Some Christians believe that their belief in ‘God’ is objective because ‘God’ speaks to them. I do not doubt that they believe ‘God’ speaks to them but that can only ever be a subjective and personal experience. My apologies for the repetition of words but I wanted to be clear and avoid ambiguity.

• kjg132
    kjg132

I visit this sight frequently but never post. I am a christian. I don't come here to defend my faith and I don't come here to have my beliefs manipulated by others. One thing I have found freedom in since I made my exit is that belief is personal. I don't have to convince anyone I know best and I don't have to agree with everything that is shoved at me. When we are part of the organization we always feel that there has to be a uniformity of belief. I see a lot of people that leave that are still trying to convince everyone that they have the "truth" even though what they regard to be true is opposite of what they used to believe they are still trying to convince everyone that they are now right and those with other perspectives/beliefs/convictions/or faiths are wrong. Even though it is against my nature, as I was a born-in, I have tried to move on from that and try not to be defensive or pretend like I know it all or have it all figured out and try to stay out of conversations that will make people want to argue with me about why they had it all wrong all their life and now they have some special insight and have it all figured out...to me it is all the same as before just with a different agenda.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

kjg132 Welcome to the forum.

Yours is is a very fair and balanced view.

If I were a Christian it is how I would want to be.

• kjg132
    kjg132

Thanks Gladiator :) That was very kind..much appreciated

• Satanus
    Satanus

Many interesting experiences. In no particular order :

Cant leave

You certainly managed to learn about evolution.

kjg

That is the kind of christianity that is cool, imo.

Thanks, gladiator. I like your comments.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Finally awake

Glad you're finally awake;)

S

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

kjg132 welcome. satanus:i guess i cant comment on your topic

• Satanus
    Satanus

Raven