Is Watchtower $60 million away from liquidation?

by cedars 26 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks everyone!

notjustyet - well spotted, I've fixed it.

Cedars

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    It isn't my video

Ha, okay, I thought that was your account. It'll still leave a black hole in the middle of your article when it goes down, but I guess I should just mind my own business and let you run your site :)

I agree that Pons was referring to the French HQ, but that's still a bit startling to hear. Thanks for pointing it out, cedars.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

It must be remembered while viewing, that the attorney for the WT corporation is a word weasle, just as all PRs for the Governing Body are,J R Brown is the same way.

So as to the meaning of headquarted it is left abiguous, but most likely it means French headquarters. The GB want to give the impression in this video of an organization that would be threatened with insolvency because of this tremendous tax burden unjustly used in an effort by the French government to crush them out of existence, further playing on the religous persecution card the same way OJ lawyers played the race card.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

...hmmm, wondering if the intended goal was to use that phrase to enhance the victory claim.

Operating on a surplus of only $60 million?

I did a research paper in college on the results with respect to leadership appointments in the public vs. private sectors. Wish I still had it. Anyways, we all know that many successful private sector CEO and Board appointments are based on previous performance in leadership roles elsewhere.

So, if leadership appointments have been uh... spiritual - what can be expected? To my knowledge, these "leaders" have no real-life experiences, let alone experience in understanding what it takes to run a financially successful company. Lots of CEOs and business owners have prayed for success, but many have left with more "experience" than financial success.

I think I'm quickly buying in to the notion that the Society's earnings are in stay afloat mode.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Never,

I'm sure the CEOs(Governing Body) are poor business planners, if they weren't they would have ditched this end of the world comming soon business plan long ago and diversified itself into other more profit sustaining stradagies, they would have gotten rid of the blood ban too very early in the game, instead they act in delusion of what really is.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I wouldn't read that conclusion into this video. Exact quote: "It could have resulted in the liquidation of the Jehovah's Witnesses headquarters." The interviewer also used the word "headquarters" to describe the interviewee's position at the beginning of the video, saying that he was a member of the JW headquarters in France. (Also he used the qualifier "in France" in the same sentence as the liquidation quote). So to me, it seems that when they are using the word "headquarters" in this interview, they are talking about the French branch. Also, as least at the term "liquidation" is used in the U.S., it does not necessarily mean that a business is insolvent, or that external forces are forcing the liquidation. So even if the France branch would have liquidated had they not won the case, it does not automatically follow that even the France branch is $60 Million from being broke (if the term is being used in the same sense as it would in the U.S.)

By means of example, Widget Co, Inc. might be a U.S. business with a French subsidiary making widgets locally in France. If the parent doesn't think it's a good idea to run the subsidiary long-term, it can liquidate the business, even if not in danger of becoming insolvent. It would then sell all of the land, buildings and equipment owned by the subsidiary, and might even turn a large profit on the liquidation.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Thanks I find that clearifying. So then it is only the French headquarters. Well it looks only like a short term victory, which they will brag about for the emotional boost it gives them and the rank and file. Needless to say they have a very difficult financial time ahead with all that is on thier plate taxation only being a small one.

• Pterist
    Pterist

$60 million away from liquidation...at best thats a good thing, at worse they lied.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Freedom of religion is a great blessing that Jehavah's Withnesses enjoy and fight for, it's hypercritical that they don't extend the same courtesy to those who leave their religion.

Shalom.

• Listener
    Listener

He talks about the French National Headquarters and further discussions clarify that the imposition of the tax would damage the JWs in France. There appeared to be no discussion as to how this would have affected the headquarters in the USA.

When they again address the Headquarters one could only assume they mean the French Headquarters as this was what was initially defined.

The video is more like a play where the actors are pretending to present a news report. They address each other as Mr rather than 'Brother'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit