Agents of Reality came knocking on my door today ...

by 00DAD 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I said-

00DAD, Good post! Great subject!
    I am just wondering... so I must inquire, how can you be certain that what you have written doesn't affirm your own confirmation bias?
    In other words, how can you be certain that the "backfire effect" hasn't taken effect in you?

~~~

00DAD REPLIED!!!Rip Van Winkle- No, I can't be certain that what IU have written doesn't affirm my own confirmation bias. Fortunately I have all you guys to call me on it!

00DAD- thanks for answering and with complete honesty!!!

Sometimes when I ask questions here, they are completely ignored and dismissed.

~~~I have been test-driving my critical thinking skills in preparation of things to come in 2013!!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, my mind tends to block things, aspects of reality. By focusing my awareness on breathing or other things continuously, it short circuits my mind so i can be more aware of what's going on around me. As well, i have found that my mind, w it's thoughts can block energy, ie make me tired. That's why the above method tends to generate or increase energy. The mind can be a deceptive master, but a good servant. Afterall, the brain is just another organ of the body.

S

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Satanus, The brain is one of my favorite organs!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"My brain? That's my second favorite organ." - Woody Allen

• Satanus
    Satanus

What was woodey's first favorite organ?? Why did they call him 'woodey'?

S

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

It seems that we humans have the disturbing tendency to only seek out information that confirms what we already believe. Also, if confronted with any ideas, facts

or evidence that challenge our beliefs, we tend to discount that information rather than question the validity of our beliefs

I sometimes wonder if that's the reason I like this site, because it confirms what I want to beleive about the Org. The difference is that I'm free to look at both sides of the coin now without fear of punishment for doing so. I was a JW for most of my life and based all my beleifs and lifes hopes and goals after seeing only one side of the picture. I may choose to beleive what what I want to beleive but at least I know what all the choices are and I'm willing and able to look at anything new I may encounter from here on in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit