Agents of Reality came knocking on my door today ...

by 00DAD 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've come to realize recently that my thinking is permanently changed by the information I've fed it. It is becoming harder to explain my perspective, say, to my daughter. She's got a completely different worldview which includes preferring citrus fruits over an antibiotic (she has an innate suspicion of industry and science).

To effectively communicate, I almost have to lead my listener through the same web of knowledge that I have been through, and the conclusions they led me to.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's another one for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granfalloon

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

^^^^I've got to read Cat's Cradle again!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A segmental part of what makes up an individual's beliefs is believing they are aren't being psychologically manipulated and exploited

by the orchestrative leaders of these religions.

Unfortunately with the JWS they obviously are, thats why this religion has grown so little in spite of being predominately

pushed toward the public through its preaching and literature distribution agenda.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's an interesting story of incentive to control traffic congestion in Stockholm. From the results it is obvious that the incentive program works. But when asked, people could not explain how their behavior changed.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonas_eliasson_how_to_solve_traffic_jams.html

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments!

BOC - I'll have to take a look at Bem's Self Perception theory. I'm not familiar with that. I'm sure there are a number of factors that come into play as well as alternate explanations. It's a difficult phenomenon to understand as it is counter to what we would expect and like to think about ourselves.

jeremiah18:5-10 - Exactly! It's interesting though that if you asked most JWs, they'd probably say they are open-minded, thoughtful people when if fact the opposite is true.

moshe - Loved the sign! Where'd you get that?

cyberjesus - Um, are you trying to be sarcastic? Ironic? Snarky? Whatever it was you were trying to be was lost in the translation.

whathappened - Glad to be of service! It's things like this that really show the value of this board.

wasblind - Thanks for the joke. You made me laugh!!!

Sayswho - Great quotes! Thanks for sharing. Don't know what you meant by the "deer in the headlights" comment though.

Rip Van Winkle- No, I can't be certain that what IU have written doesn't affirm my own confirmation bias. Fortunately I have all you guys to call me on it!

jgnat - Your father sounds like the kind of guy I'd love to chat with on any number of subjects! Thanks for the granfalloon reference too! Apparently you and BOC are now in one together.

I've got the traffic video loaded for watching later. So much to do, so little time.

Finkelstein - Interesting point. That's how JWs can so easily sit around and spot the errors and hypocrisies of other religions but miss the oft more obvious faults in their own!

00DAD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As with the JWS, they are so indoctrinated to believe in what the GB members of the WTS. are and what they purportedly represent to all mankind,

that they are more and willing to accept their mistakes as being humanely fallible.

One must also remember that the WTS. has established a life or death situation upon its members as a

means to build a frame work around themselves. Thats why you see people with at least one foot inside the Kingdom Hall, just in case.

• moshe
    moshe

sign maker apps are all over the web

Here is one for your door-

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Love the clear thinking in this thread.

Said that to mark it,..

NJY

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

" One only needs to dispassionately observe the mental gymnastics that True Believers of any ilk will go through to continue to hold on to their cherished beliefs in the face of otherwise irrefutable evidence to the contrary to be convinced of the truth of this. "

Have you been speaking to my mother?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit