Agents of Reality came knocking on my door today ...

by 00DAD 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Two Agents of Reality came by my house this morning.

No, I'm NOT talking about Jehovah's Witnesses. Those are agents of unreality in case you're unclear on the subject!

I'm talking about the concepts of Confirmation Bias and Cognitive Dissonance theory.

It seems that we humans have the disturbing tendency to only seek out information that confirms what we already believe. Also, if confronted with any ideas, facts or evidence that challenge our beliefs, we tend to discount that information rather than question the validity of our beliefs.

It's not a very logical way to go about the business of living, but it's what we do. You can be guilty of this too. Don't think so? Well, have you ever found yourself getting angry when someone simply offered an idea that conflicted with what you believe to be true? If you did, then you've experienced these agents of reality knocking at your door. Did you let them in or did you pretend you weren't home? Most people are perennial "Not-at-Homes" when these guys come a-knockin'.

Indeed, it takes great effort to overcome these very human tendencies. It takes courage and self-discipline to face the fact that you might be wrong about something. Most people, and I do mean most, will simply avoid changing. They will dig in their heels and fight harder than ever rather than change. It's just too hard, too painful and frankly too much work for most individuals. An emotional response to a fact that challenges a belief is generally compelling evidence that that belief is firmly rooted in fanstasy-land. It is axiomatic that the stronger the emotion, the weaker the foundation of that belief, the less likely that it is valid or true.

One only needs to dispassionately observe the mental gymnastics that True Believers of any ilk will go through to continue to hold on to their cherished beliefs in the face of otherwise irrefutable evidence to the contrary to be convinced of the truth of this.

The leaders of the WTBTS are masters at these bizarre mind-games of self-deception. It is these same powerful internal forces that give birth to such ill-conceived "doctrines" as an "Overlapping Generation" or its bastard cousin, the recent revision in the "understanding" of the identity of the "Faithful and Discreet Slave." It's the same delusional psychological mechanisms that allow millions of people to unquestioningly accept such illogical changes in their "theology." Seriously! How could it be that the leadership of a major religion has been wrong about their own identity for nearly 100 years? How could it be that they only just now "got it right" with "New Light"? How could it be that the announcement of this change has failed to incite loud protestations from their followers? The ridiculousness of the inherent flaws and internal contradictions in this recent doctrinal change is painfully obvious to anyone not emotionally married to the underlying beliefs.

Loyal Witnesses should be shouting, "Wait! We've only followed you because we believed you really are the 'Faithful and Discreet Slave.' If you've been wrong about your own identity all this time, then we shouldn't be following you!" But in reality, it's all pretty quiet in the Kingdom Halls. The only protestations are pretty much limited to blogs like this or other similar websites.

Belief systems, especially religious belief systems, are tragic comedies playing out on a stage in the Theater of the Absurd. I'm just glad that I am now merely a member of the audience rather than a player in the play as I once was. It's painful to watch, but still somehow I cannot look away.

I wonder how it will end.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Nice post, 00DAD. I would add Bem's Self Perception theory to your list of agents. It basically describes how by a person's observing their own behavior, they shape their own attitudes, emotions, etc. It's quite counterintuitive to how we feel it works: that attitudes change behavior.

This is a biggie with JWs. Why do so many pioneer (with so little results)? Attend endless meetings, conventions, "schools"? Because the behavior reinforces and strengthens the attitude. It is something like a subconscious version of the thought, "I see I am here out in service all weekend; therefore this work is very important to me." Or, "I conduct a bible study with this person every week; this is something I truly believe in and value."

So why does the society encourage more bible studies (even if they're on a doorstep for 15 minutes)? Or the big push for aux pioneers in the spring, or new reg pioneers? Because by observing our own behaviors, we affect and strengthen our attitudes.

• jeremiah18:5-10
    jeremiah18:5-10

00DAD- very good points, I had not thought about this before. It's remarkable how close-minded all of are by nature. At the same time, opening our minds up is so liberating, while also scary, since you risk losing grip on the only reality you know. Geez so many things aboout religion, specifically JW's are eerily similar to the concepts contained in the Matrix!

• moshe
    moshe
    But in reality, it's all pretty quiet in the Kingdom Halls.

JWs are JWs, because they want to cheat death at Armageddon and then live forever on a perfect paradise earth. Their minds will ignore this conflicting information about the F&DS= the GB, otherwise they would have to admit that they will die like everyone else.

Back in the early 90's they took out the "1914" promise from the inside cover of the Awake magazines- The legal dept put all the JWs on notice that the new order/paradise earth was no longer a promise from the WT Society. It's just a hope now - the same kind I have when I buy tickets to the big PowerBall lottery drawings.

Since 1975, JWs have had plenty of off ramps with warning signs to get off the WT road to oblivion, but most just refuse to take their foot off the gas pedal-

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Belief systems, especially religious belief systems, are tragic comedies playing out on a stage in the Theater of the Absurd. I'm just glad that I am now merely a member of the audience rather than a player in the play as I once was. It's painful to watch, but still somehow I cannot look away.

Maybe thats what you want to believe

• whathappened
    whathappened

This is what I needed to know today. I am constantly perplexed that certain close family members and friends still can't see the Watchtower lies, even though they are so easily proved. This is a hot topic for me. Thanks for the insight, guys. You are wonderful.

• wasblind
    wasblind

JWs are JWs, because they want to cheat death at Armageddon and then live forever on a perfect paradise earth._______Moshe

Yea, they are the D2D salesman that's trynna sell you a better product than the one you have

JDUB : Mornin' m'am , My name is Wittie the Witless Witnesss. And I 'm here to sell

you a product that's better than all the others. It's a Jehoover. Let me in you house and I'll

show you how it sucks.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

"We don't see things as they are...we see them as we are." Anais Nin...

"Trust those who seek the truth and doubt those who say they've found it" Heard it from Hannah (Alex Moaba) From Dexter season 7(one of my favorite shows)

Good points...00DAD

• Feel like a deer caught in head lights?

Sw

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

00DAD, Good post! Great subject!

I am just wondering... so I must inquire, how can you be certain that what you have written doesn't affirm your own confirmation bias?

In other words, how can you be certain that the "backfire effect" hasn't taken effect in you?

• jgnat
    jgnat

My thirty-something daughter was raving over an example of rank stupidity at work and my seventy-something dad commented, "Have you found a way to convince them? I haven't."

I wonder what life has been like for my dad, one of the smartest people I have ever met, an introvert. Often he would have the answer and have to wait while bumbling co-workers (or superiors) caught up, if ever. Sometimes it takes me years to figure out why some activities bothered him so much.

He once tore a strip off a researcher for a survey on nutrition habits. He could tell from the slant of questioning that the researcher was looking for a correlation between education and eating habits. Dad blasted, "We live in one of the most informed countries in the world. If education was the answer, we should be seeing a result by now!"

It took me quite a while to figure out what got him so riled.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit