Telephone call with elder today

by simplesally 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• simplesally
    simplesally

I got a call today on my cell phone today from an elder (I am disfellowshipped)... said I hadn't been seen in a while at the KH. I said yes, thats true, that the most recent incident regarding his daughter's treatment of my daughter has caused me to not come. It was the last straw.

"Are you going to take it out on Jehovah?" was the question.

I said, "NO, but I am trying to rectify how people who claim to be JW's can do what they did. I am trying to rectify the fact that despite their behavior YOU can still call them JW's."

I said, "At the last meetings I attended I heard that df'd people were: wicked, unrepentent and unwilling to change their course of life" I heard remarks of this sort over and over again in the last months that I recently attended. I told him I can't sit there and hear this over and over and yet it not be true.

I told him that I was repentant, I was not continuing to sin. I still didn't understand why I was being df'd. I said Yes, I understand to whom much is given, much is expected. And on those terms I can accept it. On the other terms, the local needs, that df'd ones are wicked, unrepentent and unwilling to change, that I can't accept.

That when I attended all the meetings and cried my heart out and when I finally couldn't go anymore because I was too embarrassed to go to the bathroom to get more kleenex....thats when I know what they did is wrong. That I have not continued in a bad course, I just failed to tell for 2 years.

He admitted.........yes those remarks are wrong, but what am I going to do?

• butalbee
    butalbee

Tell him to kiss your ass.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Some backbone would help.

• LB
    LB

Simple I believe you are trying to stop attending now, right? It's almost like quitting smoking. Once you make up your mind then just stop, cold turkey. If you want to stop then do your best to just never speak to an elder again.

Do things you enjoy, come on here and vent all you like, at least we know where you're coming from.

I wish you the best.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• simplesally
    simplesally

I don't know what you mean by "having some backbone".....!

I have been thru a ton of crap! If you think that I don't know what it means to have courage then you don't know what I have been thru. Well, OK, you don't cuz I have not told you and I think that I shall choose not to uncover my whole life here.

I do know that I am having a "crisis of conscience" here. I am confused because I converted to JW's and now am good for no other religion. I believe in all the tenets but not this df'ing thing. I am also leaning towards b=days in a moderated way.

I am so confused because I have on one hand seen what cruelty can be effected in the name of Jehovah and seen kindnesses in the same name. I see a complete disregard of humanity and then I see an elder who shows great interest.

I see a husband who grew up in the truth who shows NO evidence of bible teachings affecting his life and yet I feel that no matter what I still believe in the teachings of the bible.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'll give you your reproof in private.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Now mind your studies!

• simplesally
    simplesally

I am, I am. I am on page 98!

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Sally,
    I'm glad you're at this board. And sorry you're feeling so frustrated at the situation.

My advice to you would be to educate yourself outside of the Watchtower writings. The Internet is loaded with articles about the other side of the issues and the history of JWs. Also Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz.

My reading in the last year has also included books by scientists on evolution and history. Also, books on the Bible and its reliability about history, etc.

Education will assist you in making your decisions.

All the best,
    Pat

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Sally,

You are waking up to the fact that the JW religion is not good and includes some pretty evil practices. There is more to life and more to truth than the version of life and "truth" taught by the Watchtower. Just because you converted doesn't mean you can't take stock and examine all your choices again. You can and now is the time.

You are right to vent on this board. There are a number of successful people, living happy, fulfilling lives, posting on this board who have been through similar experiences to yours. If the practice of disfellowshipping is showing that JWs really do lack love and forgiveness and don't display the attitude of their claimed leader Christ then it is time to seriously examine why you want to be involved with such a controling group.

We are here to help and to tell you it is going to be alright. Believe me, six years ago I could not accept a life outside of the Watchtower. Now I am totally convinced I lived a lie for 35 years.

Thirdson

(A second generation JW and former JW elder)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit