Genesis 3:16 - As to ALL Women... or One Woman? A Favor, Please...

by AGuest 60 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty
    the perspective from theWTBTS POV... that women, in general, are in subjection/to be submissive to men, in general

In all my years in the WT I never came across this attitude - where are you getting it from?

Strictly in relation to preaching, teaching and leadership within the congregation they think that baptised boy has precedence over even a mature female but outside this area I have never observed what you describe.

• AGuest
    AGuest

In all my years in the WT I never came across this attitude -

Perhaps you should add it to the list of other things you didn't come across while there, C.

where are you getting it from?

I made it up (sigh).

Strictly in relation to preaching, teaching and leadership within the congregation they think that baptised boy has precedence over even a mature female

Okay, let's go with that: where do they get that? Does baptism automatically mean such one is "taking the lead"? OR... is such one often pushed into taking it ("Sure, Little Johnny's only 10, Sister Submissive, but he's baptized now so HE should say the prayer!")

but outside this area I have never observed what you describe.

Perhaps not. I would wager that you are the exception, though... or perhaps from a different WTBTS "culture" (which happens). But, you know, what happens in America is all that counts, so... j/k.

Not making it up, C.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• cofty
    cofty

I think you are making it up.

Outside of "theocratic activities" TM I never met a JW woman who would think she was to be in subjection to any man apart from her husband.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Outside of "theocratic activities" TM I never met a JW woman who would think she was to be in subjection to any man apart from her husband.

Well, you're more than welcome to take a poll...

A slave of Christ,

SA

• cofty
    cofty

I don't need to take a poll, I'm an expert on JWs already.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Of course you are. How could anyone ever doubt it?

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Our congregations, the ones that I was a member of, made it clear that baptised sons took the lead at home in a father's absence. They prayed over meals rather than the mother, and led any home bible studying. Once separated a woman had to understand that she came under the elders headship if there was no son in the house. Appalling misuse of intended loving scriptural guidelines. All to make men, especially elders feel more important and powerful than they needed to be, and women feel less than they are.

Loz x

• cofty
    cofty

Yes Loz but as I said that was viewed as part of "theocratic activity".

Appalling misuse of intended loving scriptural guidelines.

Do you mean the bible - also know as "a beginners guide to misogyny".

• AGuest
    AGuest
    that was viewed as part of "theocratic activity".

So, just when was/is "theocratic activity" turned off for, you know... "good"... "spiritual"... Jehovah's Witnesses, C? To the contrary, isn't the teaching that there is NO time when such is "turned off"... that it is a 24/7 gig? "Theocratic activity" permeates the home, work, recreation... the TV shows/movies one watches, the music one listens to, the car one drives, the clothes one wears... one's association OUTSIDE of the organization... one's budget, education... sex life... even between married couples... healthcare/treatment... even one's death (no funeral and usually cremation over burial). And more.

When, pray tell, is there a time when a "good/spiritual" JW's activity is NOT "theocratic"?

A slave of Christ,

SA

• cofty
    cofty

You're going off on a tangent Shelby.

Elders think they have the right to poke their nose into just about anything but that has nothing to do with the gender of the person being harassed.

Every r&f JW is expected to be in subjection to the elders but a woman is not expected to be in subjection to a non-elder male who is not her husband unless it relates to preaching, praying or leading.

Loz seems to think a wife ought to be in subjection to her husband - how quaint.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit