need advice!

by unstopableravens 24 Replies latest social family

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

my son is three and will not stop using his diapers we have tryed alot of stuff ,sitting him on there every few hrs etc... he knows what to do if you ask him were should he use the bathroom he will say the toilet! but he keeps going in his pull ups, you put on underwear and spiderman get a face load of mud!

• happy@last
    happy@last

In my experience the more you try the less likely he'll progress! Don't worry, he'll do it in his own time. My youngest was the same, then one day it all changed, went to the bathroom and that was it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm, every kid is different. Girls tend to be easier to potty train. Some respond to schedules and charts, some like gettng treats, some like the idea of becoming a big boy/girl and getting rid of the diapers. You know your child best, it has to be something he's going to respond to to get him to give up the pull ups.

When my third child was close to 3 we were actively potty training but I have more of a no pressure style, so I felt he would get the hang of it when he was ready. But there was an interruption, I was pregnant with my last child in my third trimester and not feeling well. My mother offered to take my kids for a awhile so I could rest. When my kids got back my child told me that he had been spanked for going in his diaper, he was quite upset about it and had some really amazing accidents because he was afraid I was going to spank him too. I had told him that I would never spank him for something like that but after the last really messy accident I had to sit my boy down and tell him that ths can't happen again. I told him it would make mommie really happy if he could poop in the toilet like a big boy. My baby's eyes lit up, because he was always the one who wanted to make mommie happy. That's what clicked for him. From that day forward my little man always pooped in the toilet.

You've got to figure out what's going to click for your boy and like happy said some kids just need more time. My last wasn't potty trained until he was five (ASD issues).

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

wow i would think by three, this would be history!

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

You might not like this Mom's advice, but please RELAX! It is probably just a power struggle. And he will win this one. I raised 4, 2 boys. 2 girls, and for some reason the boys were simply more difficult to potty train. He will do it when he is ready. Don't give up, keep encouraging him to use the big boy potty. Until they reach their teens, I think this is one of the most frustrating things parents have to do. Can you offer small rewards for using the regular toilet? He picks a story for you to read to him after he uses the reg. toilet? An extra 15 minutes to stay up past bedtime if he has no accidents one day? A Happy Meal another? Whatever works for you. I'm sure you're already praising him to the hilt when he does use it. When he starts to "get it", it might help to tell others in front of him how proud you are that he is getting to be such a big boy and uses the potty like Dad! No more baby underpants for your big boy! Children love to be praised, esp. in front of others. Don't let it frustrate you. I remember when I was at a book study with a woman who had a son 5 years old. He was friends with my son, who was trained, they were both going to kindergarten in 2 months, and he was still doing his business in a diaper. He knew what to do, but refused. NEVER had to use a diaper again after he started school. He knew what to do, just chose not to!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

When my son left a trouser patty when he was above 4, and I knew he could have gone to the bathroom but "forgot", I would take him to the shower and clean him up, with cold water only. He decided he didn't like that so much and his memory got a lot better.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My daughter used to suck her thumb. Folks would say to my hubby and I why didn't we make her stop. We felt she would stop when she wanted to. She stopped shortly after she started kindergarten. Guess she didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

mrsjones: yeah i agree with what you said, and i agree would not spank for that, i really think he can be he is chossing not to lol. ohh well time will tell. ruder: i like your advice heck you 4 im on my first! thanks!

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

What was successful for me, don't use training pants execpt for bedtime, make wearing "big boy" underwear a privledge he wants, and he won't want to mess them up. But then you have to take the accidents with it.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

we also used little rewards for using the toilet, like M&Ms, or other candy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit