JW's in a sports bar

by pontoon 22 Replies latest social humour

• pontoon
    pontoon

So I'm 2000+ miles from home on a mission for work. Out to lunch with three other guys from the company, in a sports bar on a Sunday about 3:00-4:00 PM. Crowded, not a roudy place, nice. Football on all the TVs. We sat at a table where we could easily see a TV. Local KH must have just ended meeting and spilled out it's contents because in walks a family of 4 in their meeting clothes and they sit at a table under the TV we were watching. All obese, mom, dad, son, and especially the daughter. Son and daughter probably about 15-18 yrs old. Really had to crank their heads to see the TV above them. They ordered food and ate like they were depending on Armegeddon to save them from their high cholesterol. Next comes in 5 girls. They squeeze into a table for 4. Very pretty girls, dressed nice, my guess 2 or 3 pioneer/cleaners and 1 or 2 still in high school soon to be a pioneer/cleaners. Seperate checks and they were counting their pennies. The son of the family really gets wild and loosens his tie. Next in comes 2 guys, one rugged looking and one geeky. They nod and say something to the girls, probably wishing they could sit with them, they sit at a table for 2 across from the girls. Rugged guy may have had a chance with the girls, geek holding him back. Nice of rugged guy not to ditch the geek, let the geek hang with him. In next were an older stately looking couple, they sat near me on the other side of a partition about 3' high. I could hear a lot of their conversation, talk about others, not really gossip, just general observations and small talk. Got the feeling they were both widowed, getting to know each other, if they were married they would have already known much of what they were telling each other. First family finishes, dad pays with a card and leaves a 5 on the table for a tip, it should have been at least 15. There were others, they stand out so with their meeting clothes on, but those were the ones I could see. Fun to watch.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

We sometimes met for lunch in a Sports bar. I usually sat outside but the youngsters would go inside and play the machines or watch the footie if they got bored.

• designs
    designs

In our small town you can set your watch on when church is over. The restaurants are empty on Sunday till 11:00 and then the church people flood the places.

• wasblind
    wasblind

You know Pontoon

If I had never been associated wit' this cult I could have easily question

How could you assume they were Jehovah's Witnesses if you didn't talk to them

But Jehovah's witnesses have an M.O. that's hard to match.

I remember one time I rode wit' a sister to a convention. When it ended

I think at three that afternoon, I said to myself , " I'll be able to make it home in time

and do a little yard work

This sister asked me did I want to stop by a restaurant to eat , I said yea

Next thing I know she was on the phone callin' up Tom, Dick , Harry , Moe and Bo

And we waited until everyone arrived. Even for the Brothers who had to stay and clean up

Trust, we fell up in the restaurant like an " Overlappin' " generation

that was the longest I ever sat in one place to eat

I didn't make it home until way late. From then on . I drove my darn self

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

The large groups going to eat after a convention. uuugh, make sure you get a seperate bill if you have any dignity, else you will get shorted by nearly everyone. Everyone will be like, My sandwich was $8, my soday was $2 here's a ten, see ya! No tip, no tax, whoever is collecting is almost sure to get stuck with a big shortage. And them cheapskates are usually the ones who demand constant attention from the server, maybe even wasting her time at work trying to witless to her, and then stiff her on the tip. So glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

uuugh, make sure you get a seperate bill if you have any dignity, else you will get shorted by nearly everyone.

I can't count how many times I enjoyed a $20 cup of coffee because of these pathetic cheapskates. I stopped having dinner out with dubs except for a select few who know how to behave in public.

Oh and it's like a trigger with these people. One person gets up and then it's dollar bills getting thrown down only to short the last guy by at least $20

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

So true.

Even if my kids chose from the children's menu and I drank water the dubs (all couples with both working) divided the total amount there including children so I had to pay the divided bill x 3, effectively subsidising their wine consumption on my single income.

Worldly people divided the whole bill by the number of adults only and declared it was their pleasure to treat my girls because they were a delight.

So glad to be out of it.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve seen a JW offer to take everyones money to pay the bill..

Then use the Tip money to pay for her own meal..

You can Dress them up but you can`t take them out..

...........................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• tiki
    tiki

ages ago....true story.....before we were married, my husband was extremely popular as he was making what the average window washer considered Big Money - so needless to say he had lots of invites out to eat. One occasion the group had their feast and fun....and did the typical divvying up paying the least amount possible....and when they were leaving, he left a very big tip, as the waitress had been very accomodating and there wasn't enough extra money doled out to make a decent tip.......they were all leaving and one "brother" ducks back in to the table and pockets the tip....the whole damm thing.

True story......that's how christ-like some of them are.

• j dubb
    j dubb

Is it just me or did it used to be frowned upon to eat in places that had a bar? I don't remember it being a popular restaurant concept in the 70s/80s with the exception of Bennigans. Maybe this was a regional thing (I didn't grow up in a major city)...I don't remember eating in any restaurant with a bar in it until Chili's and TGIFridays were everywhere in the mid-late 90s.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit