Who or what is to blame for the Newtown CT shooting?

by BreathoftheIndianNose 62 Replies latest jw friends

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Careful TD! That thing could he loaded. Be sure and check it and keep it pointed in a safe direction.

• Yohan
    Yohan

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/switzerland.asp

"Switzerland issues every adult a gun and trains them how to use it: Switzerland has lowest gun-related crime rate in the civilized world."

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Yohan

I believe they are military weapons, as well, the Sig 550 assault rifle.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Besty writes:

“The US has 15x per capita gun ownership, yet 74x per capita gun homicide. (compared to the land of the free, aka the United Kingdom)

“Exactly when will you figure out that more guns = more death?”

Because guns are used in homicides does not mean reduction of gun ownership brings reduction of homicides or that increase of gun ownership brings increase of homicide.

The United Kingdom tightened its gun laws in year 1997. Since then its rate of intentional homicides dropped 19%.[1] Over the same period of time the rate of intentional homicide in the United States dropped 25%.

In year 2004 gun law in the United States changed to allow a wider range of firearm ownership. The rate of intentional homicide remained steady despite this change.

In year 1995 the overall rate of intentional homicide in the United States was 5 times the rate in the United Kingdom.

In year 2009 the overall rate of intentional homicide in the United States has dropped to 4 times the rate in the United Kingdom.

I don’t see a correlation between gun ownership and rate of intentional homicide.

Over the same general period the rate in the United States has improved much more than in the United Kingdom despite gun laws moving in opposite directions between the two nations.

It’s a no-brainer that overall rate of intentional homicide in the United States is much higher than in the United Kingdom. But what is the correlation of this higher rate to gun ownership law?

Marvin Shilmer

References:

1. Dataset used comes from Index Mundi. See accompanying chart:

chart

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

besty,

I'd really appreciate feedback on my post just above from persons holding your perspective. My question is sincere.

Marvin Shilmer

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

True fact: There are alot of violent people in the US

False fact: Guns are the reason............

If "criminals" want to kill, they'll find a way!

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“If "criminals" want to kill, they'll find a way!”

Piers Morgan had a special about a week ago talking about gun ownership in the US. During one segment he showed an image of Adam Lanza’s automobile parked outside the school where he murdered so many.

It occurred to me this lunatic was not planning to go anywhere in that auto. He had parked it for the last time. This got me thinking of weapons ownership law.

For weapon ownership law in the US to have teeth against lunatics like Adam Lanza it would have to include language about automobile ownership. Had Adam wanted to go out with a bang taking so many helpless victims with him he had in his possession that day more weapons than a rifle and two handguns. He had an automobile.

Taking guns from folks may reduce the number of homicides committed by homicidal maniacs with guns but I don’t see how it would reduce the number of homicides committed by homicidal maniacs. Maniacs will simply go to another weapon at their disposal. There are automobiles everywhere.

Marvin Shilmer

• Giordano
    Giordano

I'd gather face a car then an assault rifle.

The blame falls all over the place and not the least is personal fear that the big bad government will snap up our guns. So we have become lax about who and what we are and we've stopped protecting the most helpless among us instead we warn one another that if guns are taken away other weapons will be used like..... automobiles? The discussion is about mass murderers using very efficient weapons that even the police have a difficult time with.

The first thing we have to do is to figure out how to protect the children while we try to restore some sanity re gun laws.

Three simple ways: Encourage local police departments to have more of a presence at, around and in our schools. Have them use the school parking lots for break time. Grab breakfast or lunch in the school cafeteria. Incorporate schools into the patrol areas, have the police and swat teams learn the school lay out.

PROVIDE STUDENTS WITH A 'SAFE ROOM". The bathrooms would be a logical choice since they are handy and everyone in school knows where they are. One door in and out, make sure it's bullet proof and can be locked from the inside by each teacher.

Provide a different sounding alarm then a fire alarm for an armed shooter so kids will head to the safe rooms immediately.

Cameras would help identify who is walking in the hallways and what they are doing. As far as Training and arming a few teachers I'd entertain that in a heart beat.

Hunkering over little children trying to protect them with your body and praying is not getting it done. Nor is rushing a person who doesn't have to reload their weapon until a lot of people have been killed. Protection has to be immediate. Safe room and a few armed teachers.

Armed guards? Are they paid enough to take one for the children?

We have retired police persons teaching as well as former military personnel. If not we can train a teacher through our local police and swat teams.

Whose to Blame? We have such a crappy system for checking on the backgrounds of people who want to buy a gun that people with serious problems are getting access to semi automatic weapons complete with high capacity clips. Even Felons are missed. So that has to be brought up to date.

The NRA is to blame because they have sold us and their members out. Instead of being a force for sanity they oppose everything they possibly can including banning cop killer bullets, high capacity clips and assault weapons they even want people on the suspected terrorist list to be able to buy guns. Why because that's how they make extra money!

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/12/whom-does-the-nra-really-speak-for/266373/

"The NRA has profited by it's relationship with gun manufacturers to the tune of 39 million dollars in recent years and gets a piece of the action of gun and bullet sales.

Some of that funding has given the NRA a direct stake in gun and ammo sales. As Bloomberg noted in its January article, Sturm, Ruger & Co. launched a campaign to sell one million guns, and promised to donate $1 of each purchase to the group. Since 1992, MidWay USA, which retails gun supplies including ammo and controversial high-capacity magazines, has allowed its customers to round up each of their online and mail orders to the nearest dollar, and automatically donate the extra to the NRA. Together with other companies that have joined the effort, MidWay has helped collect more than $9 million for NRA. MidWay's owner, Larry Pottfield, also happens to be the group's largest individual donor. "

And finally our politicians who have no regard for keeping our children safe in favor of taking lobbyist's money to make sure the gun manufacturers can continue to sell unlimited amounts of weapons.

The USA has more gun deaths then any other first world county, we are 11th preceded only by third world countries that are even more out of control then we are.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“I'd rather face a car then an assault rifle.”

Why?

Does it matter which kills you?

Marvin Shilmer

• Giordano
    Giordano

That's it....... that's the best response you've got? Do you really want to compare getting run over on purpose....... which has not been an intentional crime for the most part as a Mass Murder tool with a crazed gun person going into a school room and Shooting to death 6 year olds with an Assault rifle that they never should have had access to?? To date we have had very few people who have used their cars as a weapon but a heck of a lot who have decided to kill strangers with rapid fire weapons. How about exploring ways to keep children safe from this type of monster then worrying about letting us know that automobiles are dangerous. If you've got an idea about prevention please share it with us. Tell me what I'm supposed to do to keep my grandchildren safe when they start kindergarten and I drop them off at a school that is supposed to be responsible for them but has nothing in place to prevent an attack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit