Long Term Effect of Conti & Similar Cases?

by Chaserious 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I do however, disagree the Conti case somehow sets a precedent that the WTS is on the hook (legally) for any abuse by a MS, or rank and file member, if that's what you are implying.

I think you'll understand when I say I hope I'm right and you're wrong. *giggling*

Additionally, I have to hope that families and friends of these elders who have to suffer through a court mess imposed by WT policies will open an eyelid and ask themselves if this is fair to them.

The Society is correct in warning their elders of an increasingly litigous society. I can easily see a hungry attorney opting for an attempt at a prize.

How does precedent become precedent? Just takes one case with a unique twist. California's case gives attorneys elsewhere a model now.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I think you'll understand when I say I hope I'm right and you're wrong. *giggling*

Well, I wouldn't mind too much being wrong about this one thing. =)

I'm just afraid this case is going to be an anomaly, both in terms of the generosity of the jury and the specifics of what happened. It terms of precedent, right now it's still up in the air. If the WTS happens to win on appeal, it would give them legal ammunition to get out of these cases at the dismissal stage in the future, preventing a jury (at least in CA) from ever sticking it to them again.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I bet that, more than ever, the Governing Body is looking upward and saying, "Beam me up, Scotty!" This system can't end soon enough for them.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The very act of calling Bethel Legal first imposes greater liability on the WT for future actions. They cannot state that elders are independent actors. I can no longer state what the intent of Legal would be. They love being persecuted. I recently invited JWs here to discuss Selma and Steve in the WT, where severe marital abuse was encouraged, and the WT quoting from a Nuremberg convicted theologian. He was convicted precisely b/c of his theology. They found him responsible, in part, for the concentration camps. It was about two weeks after the WT study. They had no idea what I was talking about. When I explained to them, they were not suprised. Their attitude was "so." We are not dealing with the typical American.

Bethel has always fed off persecution. It makes them pretend that they are first century Christians. The end is near. In my opinion, the entire religion is more about control and overreaching to maintain a cult (with no negative connotation) than preserving purity of doctrine.

Conti had to have an exceptional case for the jury to award punitive damages to the extent it did. The Roman Catholic experience, however, paves the way for litigants against the WT. The law has already been established. Plaintiff trial strategies and appellate arguments have already been advanced.

Dubs may not leave. Plenty of people heard about this case, however, around the world. Hopefully, it will stop people from being so open to the kindly JW at the door.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

It has definately got to put the JW hard sell at the doors down the tubes, for at the ease of his finger tips he can google Jehovah Witness if he is vaguely interested he don't need no cheap sorry looking paper magazine.

Watch tower internet presence is deplorable just go to thier web site it stinks, you can't even post a comment about what you think it's all one way with no readable comments allowed. And forget about sending a message to the publisher of thier crap you can't they just want your address if your interested with no room for comment.

So how can they survive the internet? They can't except for the few they keep heavily under thier delusion, they have no way to spread and make money except to appeal to the brainwashed JW's to hand over estates to them and put in electronic transfere credit card dispencers in the hope to bleed more cash from the faithful.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

The very act of calling Bethel Legal first imposes greater liability on the WT for future actions.

I think that this is a business decision they've made. They're willing to accept potential greater liability for the actions of these elders in exchange for avoiding the PR risk of having some elder "going rogue" and needlessly giving the org bad press or causing a stir in the congregation (you know, actually "protecting" the flock by warning them). Additionally, by having explicit instructions, it actually could protect them from liability in the event that an elder doesn't follow the instructions. They would then say whatever happened was outside the scope of the elder's duty as a WTS elder.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

We have already seen some of the effects of the Conti decision, the Watchtower altered it's policies, not to prevent child sex abuse, but to maintain control and protect themselves from legal issues. They have historically been willing to pay what it takes to keep themselves out of court and their names out of the media, and that will not change. Most Jehovah's Witnesses will buy in to the desire to "not bring reproach on Jehovah's name", and a few bucks will make them feel better about the whole thing. The only difference will be that it will take more money to buy people off, the hugh dollar amount will be remembered even if the case is overturned. Nothing will change the fact that child sex abuse will continue to go on among Jehovah's Witnesses, and the WTBTS will continue to pretend it doesn't.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Fed-up - "Many abusers abuse more than one child."

That's another problem the WT heirarchy has serious trouble with, for a number of reasons.

First, because the evidence supporting that conclusion somes from "Satan's World", and therefore automatically viewed with skepticism and suspicion.

Secondly, because it conflicts with the ideology-based belief that an individual who "sins" can successfully turn his or her life around and avoid repeating the offense by means of faith and prayer (rather than secular "Worldy" means of rehabilitation, such as counseling, 12-step programs, etc.).

Authoritarian regimes are absolutely loathe to admit (to themselves or outsiders) that they even have internal problems, let alone acknowledge that outsiders might be far more qualified and skilled at handling said internal problems that they themselves could ever be.

Not to mention that ideology-based reasoning completely fails to take into consideration the fact that sexual predation, in addition to being one of the absolute worst offenses human beings can commit, has many aspects in common with addiction, which medical science and psychology (again, more aspects of "Satan's World") have demonstrated pretty conclusively is virtually impossible to eliminate... the vast majority of addicts inevitably relapse, and for predatory sex addicts, fairly extreme measures are necessary to curtail those relapses.

Sooner or later, those measures cannot help but come into conflict with WTS policies regarding worship, proselytizing, fellowship, etc., and in the WTS, policies and doctrines are viewed as - for all intents and purposes - the same (whether the average JW is aware of this or not).

To the R&F, doctrine cannot be wrong, therefore policy cannot be wrong.

• frankiespeakin
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I saw some YouTube videos of Candace and her lawyer. He is seeking new clients with similar fact pattern of actual notice to the elders. I wonder if the WT will settle run of the mill cases after Conti.

He pointed out that her case was not the usual case. The elders have actual notice that Kendricks was a pedophile.

Whatever happens the case has already had a large impact. Other lawyers will be more likely to bring these cases.

The WT appears to be posturing to have even more liability by increasing the involvement of Bethel at the KH level rather than decreasing it.

There is no reason for an elder to call WT Legal. If they have doubts, they should seek counsel from a local lawyer who will be professionally responsible to the elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit