Long Term Effect of Conti & Similar Cases?

by Chaserious 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I wonder if the WT will settle run of the mill cases after Conti.

Hard to say. They are a bunch of pompous idiots who feel that no matter what, God is behind them. I think they will do whatever they percieve is best for them. Legally, I'm sure attorneys will be looking at how they defend themselves with a bit of ridicule at the WT. Ego is driving them to fight. Fortunately they chose to fight, which set a legal precident, rather than paying and burying this from the news.

There is no reason for an elder to call WT Legal. If they have doubts, they should seek counsel from a local lawyer who will be professionally responsible to the elder.

There is no reason for an elder to rely on WT legal. The WT has no obligation to the individual elder. They won't send an attorney to defend them. Any elder who precided over a judicial meeting in the last 25 years regarding a pedo should seek legal help as an individual. It's only a matter of time before the courts start sanctioning these elders for what they didn't do.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I don't think they are asking for additional liability by making the elders call them. Elders are already appointed by the WTS, so the WTS is largely going to be on the hook already for their actions that fall within the bailiwick of duties as an elder. It's whether the corporation can be held liable for the actions of a MS/ publisher that is murky right now. While an elder could seek personal counsel (doubt many actually would), they still can be required to call WTS legal, as least if they want to remain as an elder. It's no different than a corporation requiring that the manager of an individual branch call HQ legal anytime someone slips and falls on the premises. While the manager might potentially be individually liable as well (e.g. if she had failed to put up a warning sign for a wet floor) and therefore can get her own attorney, she still has to call the main legal department.

Of course, this is complicated by the mandatory reporting requirements for sexual abuse in many states. To use my analogy, if the corporation had a policy that the manager call legal before calling 911 if someone fell, they could potentially be asking for trouble. Though, with a business corporation, the attorney would have a professional obligation to make sure the manager knew he represented the company, and not the individual. I wonder if the WTS legal department informs the elders of this. Ethically, they should. I wouldn't exactly trust the ethics of anyone in WTS HQ any further than I could see them, of course.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I believe it is mixed. WHICH straw breaks the Camels back?

I Think the internet is making a HUGE difference.

Years ago even with family and friends in Bethel (even legal) I had very little knowledge of the degree of problems in the borg. I thought my area was unique somehow.

Of course some will never be swayed no matter what they learn of hear. Some people are die hard KKK members, others believe in Vodoo, and various odd beliefs. There will always be a few Watchtower adherants...the annual intrest $$ from over a Billion dollars will support the hardcore at the upstate compound for many many years.

My 2 cents.

• williamhconley
    williamhconley

The victim and the family have the right & obligation to call the police. If the elders say you can't, ask them to put it in writing signed by the body of elders & go to the police anyways. Any thinking member should know that the elders only deal with sin & it's really up to us to protect our family and get the law involved when necesarry.

Even if a molester is df'd, in less than a year he will be re-instated. Warn the congregation about a molester even if threatened with df. Again ask the elders to put their request in writing and sign by the body. This will scare them.

I don't care about the 2 witness rule, I will go to the police if any family member says they were molested or victimized any other way. Have the law, professionals, dna, forensics etc decide whether molestation took place.

It's a real shame to believe that the elders can actually protect our family from any harm. It's up to us personally. All they can do is to tell us to preach, go to meetings and wait in God. Nothing practical will come out of their mouths.

W.H. Conley

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I was just sent a Wikipedia article from a JW about the JW child abuse policy. It had a bunch of handwritten circles and underlines and asterisks on it. I guess those were his markings. I told him I'd rather use the directives that are issued from the WT, not statements from a site that anyone could modify. I then sent the BOE letter of October 12, 2012 that offered no mention of contacting law enforcement authorities.

His response:

"You have here direct info from the Office of Public Information and also memos provided to elders from the same department and it is available to the elders."

Are R&F allowed to read BOE letters?

The article can be found here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses'_handling_of_child_sex_abuse

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't think this case will have a major impact, I hope I am wrong. I live in the same area where the trial took place, and I didn't hear about, even though I read the paper and watch the news, I learned about it here, so I don't think it is getting that much coverage. Maybe if the verdict stands on appeal it will get more coverage. I think it will get out to the JWs, but they are well conditioned to see this as persecution from Satan. They money will hurt, if the case is not overturned, but I think it will not bring them down. We already know that the Watchtower will pay off victims to keep things covered up, and that will continue, most JWs will accept a payout and keep quiet about it, like the good sheeples they are. If a few more cases like this turn up with big judgements, then maybe people will take more notice.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

If a few more cases like this turn up with big judgements, then maybe people will take more notice.

You bet. And you know what else people will notice. Further clamping down on the rank and file with even a greater degree of paranoia. It just seems like a dub explaining their religion sounds more and more like a story of how to live in a compund.

This does need to stick so that other cases can progress with an even greater degree of success

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Sent the October 12 BOE letter to a R&F person.

Are they allowed to read them?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

allowed or willing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit