Evidence of Supernatural Ability

by GromitSK 74 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

There has never been an example of paranormal activity under controlled conditions.

I mentioned Blackmore because she was one scientist who spent years researching it objectively. She wanted to prove it was real.

With respect Oliver Lodge doesn't count. There was an obsession about the paranormal in those decades. Marconi, John Logie Baird et al were all at it. None of them ever produced anything approaching scientific evidence.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The while "something coming into being from nothing" has "supernatural" written all over because, as we know, in nature things just don't come from nothing.

What do you mean by nothing?

Interesting... Yet, when I talk about a "spiritual" nature which is something outside of our natural universe, others jump on it and ask for proof. Yet they are fine with the idea of infinite big bangs, nothing from something, etc...

The big bang is a natural event. That's why. Quantum fluctuations are natural events.

Go out and meet the psychics and mediums, listen to what they say. They don't work in labs but what they say is fascinating. Test it for yourself, it is a personal scientific experiment. We don't have to make anyone else believe it- we're not in field service now.

The Walking Dead is fascinating, that doesn't make it real. And it has been tested. And failed every time.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

EP

Obviously though those born blind will have to take it on good trust.
    Not really, a deaf person can get evidence sound exists. There are ways of telling these things....

No. Whereas deaf people do have ways of telling that there is sound and even different kinds of sound, blind people cannot tell colour.

Helen Keller is well known for having confirmed this. For instance, she was even able to enjoy concerts and recitals, especially organ recitals, because she could feel the vibrations different sounds made, and could also sense rhythm. She readily distinguished between high and low sounds, and could even tell which instrument was playing. But she could not tell colour.

All her life she wanted to be able to distinguish colour, and frequently tried different methods to see if she had any degree of different sensation for different colours. She laid her hands on them, felt them, held them to her face, all manner of different methods, but although it was something she very, very much wanted to do, yearned to do, to her lifelong regret she was unable to distinguish any colour at all.

Now, Helen Keller is possibly the best example we could have for this. Not only had she no sight or hearing at all, but she was highly intelligent and very motivated to do learn and stretch herself way beyond what most people would ever think possible. She greatly advanced the understanding of what the deaf-blind are capable of, learning Braille and then more languages than most sighted or hearing people could ever master.

But it was a sorrow to her that colour eluded her.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I don't think it is reasonable to dismiss Lodge's work summarily Cofty. You're entitled to your opinion. I don't know whether or not you have looked at it (Lodge's work that is, not your opinion) There is a long list of eminent scientists who have investigated supernatural phenomena with control and reached a positive conclusion. I am not saying this means it should be accepted, but I do say that it is not reasonable to simply dismiss the body of evidence that has been accumulated by, for example, the Society for Psychical Research (to name but one).

What would you consider a supernatural phenomenon and what would satisfy you that it was genuine Cofty?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I disagree, Charles Tart's experiments were conducted under controlled conditions. So were those conducted by Gary E Schwartz. All you are saying is that they don't satisfy you, which is your right.

• cofty
    cofty

Remote viewing under controlled circumstances but the level of detail would have to be good - Derren Brown has shown that some very impressive results can be obtained by simple psychology.

Randi's $1- million prize is still awating anybody who can do it.

• cofty
    cofty

There appears to be good reason to be skeptical about Tart's assertions...

• cofty
    cofty

double post

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

No. Whereas deaf people do have ways of telling that there is sound and even different kinds of sound, blind people cannot tell colour.

You are incorrect.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

There is a long list of eminent scientists who have investigated supernatural phenomena with control and reached a positive conclusion.

Oh, please show that list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit