Evidence of Supernatural Ability

by GromitSK 74 Replies latest jw friends

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

@ Deputy Dog – I assumed you were talking about the whole process of creation from the beginning all the way up to the present day including humans. Sorry I wasn’t clear about that.

I don’t have any evidence that the creation wasn’t a supernatural event. There was no-one around now who can confirm what happened or witnessed it (leaving aside any references to religious books or statements purporting to come from supernatural entities).

There seem to be a number of ideas about how creation came about, including the intervention of some supernatural event or being. I am not sure that the simple fact of our existence is good evidence that there was a supernatural event. It could be of course, but it might not be as far as I can see from the competing ideas.

I am keen to avoid debating the process as well and just focus on what are supernatural phenomena in members’ view and what would be good evidence of it for them.

@EP – it could well be true that one reason no one has claimed Randi’s prize is that such phenomena do not exist. This position would be stronger if all the research into the subject has shown this to be the case. This isn’t the situation.

I can think of a few reasons why, assuming for a moment that such phenomena are possible, a practitioner might not be interested for example: they don’t believe the prize offer is genuine; they are not confident the phenomena can be demonstrated before such a markedly opposing body of people; they aren’t interested in the money or acclaim; I am sure others can think of many more potential reasons. Some might not be convinced by these reasons. Some have tried to win the money of course and have either not satisfied the committee or failed completely.

@Knowsnothing – I agree. If it turns out that such supernatural phenomena do exist, then there are lots of implications.

Aside: I would just like to say that I am not trying to ask smart-ass questions. I have a view on the matter which is developing and which I have mentioned briefly in other threads but here I am simply interested in hearing member’s views about what constitutes a supernatural event and what would be good evidence of it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Something from nothing seems to defy "nature" doesn't it?

I think that is why there is still a reluctance to embrace the big bang theory in some corners and that some have "reinterpreted" it to mean that there was soemthing already and, for some reason, it stared to expand.

The while "something coming into being from nothing" has "supernatural" written all over because, as we know, in nature things just don't come from nothing.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Something from nothing seems to defy "nature" doesn't it?

@DD - I agree everything I know that exists came from something else. I am not sure why this necessarily means the originating event has to be supernatural in the usual sense of the word. For example, I guess it is possible that 'something' existed before our natural universe that caused it to be created. I don't think we know enough yet to be certain what that 'something' was. Only my view. I don't really want to debate creation by a supernatural entity of some form (others may) as I don't have a fixed view and it is probably above my pay grade :)

@ PS - Perhaps it was supernatural in the sense that the 'thing' which led to Creation was outside what we consider to be our 'natural' universe. Again it depends what is meant by supernatural (in the usual sense of the word). The word 'supernatural' has certain connotations for most people. I suppose supernatural could simply mean 'outside our natural Universe' but I don't think that is the usual usage. It is possible that there are things outside our Universe, parallel universes and suchlike. Would they be supernatural?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Supernatural is, be definition "above" nature.

Something unexplainable by natural law ( Laws as we have them now of course).

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Perhaps it was supernatural in the sense that the 'thing' which led to Creation was outside what we consider to be our 'natural' universe.

Interesting... Yet, when I talk about a "spiritual" nature which is something outside of our natural universe, others jump on it and ask for proof. Yet they are fine with the idea of infinite big bangs, nothing from something, etc...

When you get down to origins, you can't avoid having to question the idea of "supernatural" origins.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

@PS

Something unexplainable by natural law ( Laws as we have them now of course).

Makes sense to me :)

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

@ Christ Alone - I can't see why asking for proof is wrong or inappropriate. If I can't provide evidence to support what I believe why would someone else accept it? Same applies to Big Bangs :)

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I went to see a psychic perform in a local pub. At one point she came to me and asked for a piece of jewellery to hold. I gave her the necklace I was wearing that my daughter had given me for a mother's day present. She then asked me if I knew anyone by the name of ********** , which was my daughter's name.

There was no throwing out name after name or trying to get me to feed her information. Just my daughter's name straight away and then a fact about something she did in the recent past.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I can't see why asking for proof is wrong or inappropriate. If I can't provide evidence to support what I believe why would someone else accept it? Same applies to Big Bangs :)

I never said asking for proof is wrong! Sometimes proof enough for me is not for someone else and that's fine. I was commenting mainly on the rejection of anything supernatural or outside our natural universe. If there is something outside the physical realm, it is to be rejected, supposedly. If I talk about multiple dimensions in a scientific realm, that's ok. Many atheistic scientists will accept that it is possible. But if I talk about a spiritual dimension that is outside our natural dimension, it will be jumped all over. I will be asked to define words like "nothing" "something" "universe" "dimension" "supernatural" "spiritual", etc. Because of my belief that there is a spiritual reality that is outside our physical one, I am called delusional, someone who doesn't need proof, someone that only has blind faith, etc.

That's all I was saying. The supernatural is unavoidable when you deal with origins. Something from nothing.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Lighting a green candle, covering it in mint......Im getting the letters.......SA...and the numbers 10/6......does that make sense to anyone? Also, curly hair thats now straight. How strange.

Nothing scientific though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit