Evidence of Supernatural Ability

by GromitSK 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

sounds like a reasonable list to me. As an aside, I can't see anything on it which, if it turned out to be genuine, would necessarily involve the operation of

'spirits' of any kind, would you agree?

I agree, except I would then be curious as to just how such a feat was accomplished. It really would leave open more questions than it answers. Oh, so-and-so has telekinetic powers do they? Well, how the hell do they have that power? What allows them that power and not others? You see what I mean?

I don't discount the 'supernatural' just yet, mainly because I have a good friend that he says went to a 'Santero' and was told many things that only he himself knew. Maybe there is a spirit world, but they choose to interact with us whenever it's convinient for them. Perhaps, that's why it's called the 'occult' afterall. You can't know unless you immerse yourself in it, and by then it's too late. Just my two cents.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Obviously though those born blind will have to take it on good trust.

Not really, a deaf person can get evidence sound exists. There are ways of telling these things....

With respect to the "my friend knows" or "a psychic told me".....those things ALWAYS fail under any controlled condition.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

a) what they would consider to be a supernatural ability and

b) what they would consider sufficient evidence to convince them it was genuine.

Answer to both.

a) The ability for something to come from nothing.

b) existence

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I meant the actual wavelengths of the colours EP...

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I dont think anyone has claimed any of the money available for those with proven supernatural abilities so far, which is very telling:

http://skepdic.com/randi.html

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

@ witness - it could be an indication that no-one can actually perform any of the supernatural feats they claim. If the research that has been carried out in this area had also demonstrated this conclusively then it would be a safer assumption. That isn't the case though. Although it is certainly possible that Randi's Prize remains unclaimed because everyone is fake, there are other possibilities; eg (assuming for a second there is at least one person out there who has a genuine supernatural ability) ignorance of the offer; lack of faith that it's a genuine offer; fear of entering into such a forum; lack of interest in the prize itself;lack of confidence that such phenomena could be made manifest before such a sceptical audience. I am sure others can think of additional possibilities. One or two have tried to win the prize but have been unable to demonstrate their purported abilities to the extent required by the committee (or at all).

I am not saying your assertion isn't true, just that I don't see it is necessarily a strong indication.

@EP - what things fail? - sorry to be obtuse.

@cobalt - interesting. This is similar to the phenomena of folks expecting phone calls from certain people before they occur isn't it? Would you consider your experience to be strong evidence? I'd be interested to hear why.

@deputy dog - it would be good evidence if it could be shown this was likely to be the case. If you're referring to human existence, I'd say the process whereby that happened is somewhat up for debate wouldn't you? :)

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

GromitSK

@deputy dog - it would be good evidence if it could be shown this was likely to be the case.

Do you have any evidence otherwise?

If you're referring to human existence, I'd say the process whereby that happened is somewhat up for debate wouldn't you? :)

I'm not refering to just human existence or debating the process. I'm refering creation as a whole.

• GromitSK
  • Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

GromitSK

Something from nothing seems to defy "nature" doesn't it?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Derren is currently in the Maldives with his beloved and will remain there for the next 2 weeks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit