Is the Jehovah's Witness religion Christian?

by Zagor Almanah 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

"Followers of Jesus", or "followers of Jehovah,"! Since the 'first' Christians were Jews, who would have definitely seen themselves as followers of Yahweh, can we say that the first "Christians" rejected Yahweh?

• wasblind
    wasblind

In Matthew 17:5 Jehovah let folks know that Jesus was his Son who he approved

Jehovah also said to listen to the things that Jesus would say

And we know what Jesus said in Acts 1:8

And we know by divine provance those who witnessed about Jesus were called Christians

in Acts 11:26

" Christians " in Acts 11: 26 did not reject Jehovah they simply did what he said and listened to the things Jesus commanded

somethin' the Jehovah's witnesses ain't doin'

Jesus was given all authority in heaven and on earth to do and say what he wanted

and the Jehovah's witnesses are trynna take that authority away

• myelaine
    myelaine

I look at it this way...

the early followers of Jesus were taught by the apostles using the OT scriptures to identify and authenticate Jesus and what He was sent to do. Besides this there was a lot of oral teaching regarding the formation of the church including the organizational structure, doctrines, beliefs etc. In this they formed the church body. As the apostles died others were entrusted to continue on in the ministry. We should hope that as the decades turned into centuries there WAS an unbroken line of people in authority united by LOVE and RESPECT for the Lord Jesus, the gospel message...AND a healthy fear of displeasing the God that they worshipped (integrity and honesty demands it considering WHAT was written and passed down both OT and NT) By the time that the Nicene creed was formulated and the canon was agreed upon there is no reason to believe that LOVE, RESPECT and a healthy fear of God had diminished within the core church.

To deny the orthodox doctrine of the deity of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of the trinity is to call into question the agenda of these most early followers of Jesus Christ and WHO motivated them. That smacks of disrespect and a lack of brotherly love for ALL those who cultivated THE faith.

I can't help but think of the apostle Paul and his willingness to enter into congregations and root out sources of error in God's field. He was completely adverse to accommodating those who would corrupt the gospel message that he was given to preach...anti-Christ's and other gospels (possibly gnostisism?) abounded and he endeavoured to stamp them out with as much (not the same) ferver as he put into stamping out the first christians. That "speaks" to me...that tells me that he was concerned about the truth being administered because the real truth does mean more than prevailing opinion.

The JW, the mormon, and the bahai all have different definitions of WHO Jesus is and WHO God is...these definitions are different from each other and different from the orthodox. If it doesn't make much difference what you believe about the One who saves you, then why would the apostle paul bother to try and correct erroneous BELIEF?...What we believe about God and Jesus IS important...it unites us where differing beliefs have a tendency to cause division.

Moses wasn't allowed by GOD to enter the promised land because of unbelief...to what degree are His modern day representitives willing to accommodate unbelief by the supposed authority of in His name?...will the result fracture more than unify?...WHO motivates the modern agenda and is it the same as the early christian congregation?

I like the scripture about the Master who hired workers for a denari and the same amount was paid to each regardless of how long they worked...the above mentioned from OTHER faiths still have opportunity to labour for the Master and receive as much for an hours work as those who have worked all day :)

love michelle

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Sure they are. Everybody defines "Christian" differently, and many like to point to other "Christians" and claim they aren't really "christian" because they don't fit their definition. they say they are Christian, as they understand a Christian should be, and so they are Christian. Others will say they are not for a whole host of reasons, but Christians do that to each other all the time. They believe that Christ sacrificed his life for the sins of humankind. He is God's son. He is a king.

Now those Baptists! Or those 'unaffiliated spiritual people' THEY aren't real Christians.

• Sulla
    Sulla

So I get to be Muslim if I want, I guess.

• myelaine
    myelaine

“Hear, O My people, and I will admonish you!
    O Israel, if you will listen to Me!
    There shall be no foreign god among you;
    Nor shall you worship any foreign god.
    I am the Jehovah your God,
    Who brought you out of the land of Egypt;
    Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.

“But My people would not heed My voice,
    And Israel would have none of Me.
    So I gave them over to their own stubborn heart,
    To walk in their own counsels.

“Oh, that My people would listen to Me,
    That Israel would walk in My ways!
    I would soon subdue their enemies,
    And turn My hand against their adversaries.
    The haters of the Jehovah would pretend submission to Him,
    But their fate would endure forever.
    He would have fed them also with the finest of wheat;
    And with honey from the rock I would have satisfied you.” psalm 81:8-16

love michelle

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I don't say that they are Christians or not. They do.

You can't bash Christians out of one side of your mouth while claiming you are one out of the other side. It's logically inconsistent.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

I draw a logic conclusion between the confusion in the second and the third centry among christians that lead to the Nicean Creed and what the apostles and even Jesus forewarned about.

Trinity teachers where a result of what apostle Paul said: I know that after my departing grievous wolves shall enter in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them.-Acts 20:29

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is not pure Christian. Insomuch as they view Jesus' death as opening the door for salvation, they are part Christian. They esteem Paul higher than Jesus, however.

The other part is modeled around the Pharisaic Jewish system. I would rate the religion as half Jewish and half Christian--the worst half of each.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The central concept of christianity is that christians are like living stones gathered together to form the spiritual church (or the body) of Christ yet the vast majority of the JWs do not believe that they are part of this arrangement since they were lead by the weird sophistries of the JW leaders to believe that they are part of the mysterious inferior class of the "other sheep" who strangely are not part of the church. As such they can not have a real connection and relationship with the Christ and thus cannot be defined as christians and they themselves declare that they are not part of the spiritual church but associates of those elite JWs who are and number supposedly a few thousands. The latter do not even know what sets them apart from the inferior JWs.

The JWs are a religion that appears to be christian but on closer inspection has a judaic heart, it revolves around Jehovah not around Jesus and it has a very legalistic and totally unimaginative approach and as such seems to represent a regression from what we can call Pauline or gentile Christianity to the original Judaic Christianity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit