A Nut or Criminals Will Always Find A Way To Kill Or Hurt Someone If They Want To

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

For the record, I don't think a person should be able to use "assault weapons" or "machine guns" or "rocket launchers". I do think guns should be allowed. But certainly not everyone is "qualified" to use a firearm.

Even if you legally, rightfully can have a weapon, it doesn't mean that a "kook" wouldn't steal it and use it in a nefarious way.

I am convinced that you could take licenses away from drinkers and they still could get behind the wheel and wreak havoc.

You could ban switchblades and gun silencers and people will still find a way to quickly slice you up or muffle a sound.

You could ban or try to curtail cough medicines and people will still find a way to get high.

WE cannot, government cannot---CONTROL what people will do. And especially, if a person has mental issues, you never know what might happen.

You could get rid of cars, you could get rid of weapons, you could get rid of drugs---but people will always find a way to wreak havoc if they are so inclined.

The major problem is society. Many people do not have basic principles that guide them to think and do what is right. I see children without any direction looking for acceptance and they join gangs and cause mayhem. You see parents who probably never should have had children and yet they produce households of dysfunction.

It is sad. Crazy people and criminals are bent on disobedience and flouting of society's dictates.

• james_woods
    james_woods

This is true, Minimus.

• minimus
    minimus

Do you think "liberals" would agree with us, James?

• nugget
    nugget

There will always be disturbed or evil people who think the way to get attention is to harm others. However what you can do is make it harder for them to cause harm. What I could never understand is why assault weapons are available for members of the general public? I understand the arguments for hunting and the use of a hand gun for those who feel they need to ensure personal safety but assault weapons serve no valid purpose in civilian society.

It would indeed be a great shame if the USA didn't learn from it's tragedies and was doomed to repeat them.

• minimus
    minimus

Assault weapons shouldn't be available.

If a switchblade is illegal or certain martial arts weapons, assault weapons should be banned to.

• bohm
    bohm

... So lets arm them with the best tools for the job!

Seriously all your arguments sound like that.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Do you think "liberals" would agree with us, James?

Some of them probably do - the logic of what you posted here is really inescapable.

• minimus
    minimus

Thank you for that response. I obviously think it is reasonable.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

bohm,

Nugget does make a valid point, to quote "However, what you can do is make it harder for them to cause harm." (In the same manner , if a burglar really wants to get into your house, he will - no matter what you do. That fact, though, does not mean we despairingly throw our hands up in the air and leave our homes unlocked. We can and do implement measures to make it harder for a would be thief - even if it only serves to make him move on to easier pickings!)

There will always be violence, guns or no guns. However, the contribution firearms have made has been to make violence more deadly - which is why they were introduced in the first place. (The destruction one person armed with an AK-47 is capable of carrying out is out of all proportion to what that same individual could do if he were armed with nothing more than a chunk of rock or a length of timber!)

We can, though - as nugget says - make it harder for disturbed individuals to get hold of a firearm;

-such measures as requiring guns to be kept locked in secure containers, or vetting of firearms owners for mental instability, criminal records etc. (Down in this part of the world, that is what we have to do -and speaking for myself, a licensed firearm owner, I have never had a problem with that).

Bill.

• designs
    designs

Anarchists have existed throughout human history. Tribes and then armies found that burning your enemies crops was a sure way to defeat them or to set fire to their village or fort. In modern times we have seen criminals and anarchists use pesticides, fertilizers, and gasoline, common items that can cause great damage. Those with mental illnesses need help and intervention. The mother of this young man who killed all of those people seems like her life should have had some type of intervention before she amassed the firearms and ammunition she was able to get, some of her End Of The World views should have alerted the community. I see no reason for the general public to be able to buy the assualt weapons available now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit