One day dad tried to kill us all

by TimeBandit 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

That's right, my dad tried to kill everyone in our house back in 1980. After the attempt was unsuccessful he pretended it was a boneheaded accident. I know better, and so does my brother.

One day while we were living in Houston we were all told to go take a nap in our bedrooms. The next thing I remember was waking up and being told to go outside and sit in the yard. I couldn't breathe and we were all coughing and dizzy and had bad headaches. Some of us passed out before we could get outside and my mom and aunt had to drag us outside.

Dad had started up the car in our garage (garage door was closed) and left it running...And left the door that goes from the house to the garage open. He tried to suffocate all of us with car exhaust.

After years of wondering what really happened I talked to my brother about the incident recently. Dad was not happy. His marriage was not good. He hated his job. I really believe he did it on purpose. I think it was an attempted murder/suicide.

Why else would he start up the car in a closed garage and let it run for half an hour with the door that goes into our house left open. It was a weekend day. Dad never went anywhere on the weekend. So why did he start the car on a warm sunny day with no plans to go anywhere? I'm convinced he attempted to kill us and then chickened out and made us all go outside.

All these years later I'm finally starting to realize what he tried to do and it makes me love him a lot less...

Chris

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ouch. It's a sad realization. When you were younger, you prolly couldn't face this.

S

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

That is one hell of a memory Chris. People are sometimes driven to extremes although I feel that this goes far beyond. Hugs to you friend.

Loz x

• cantleave
    cantleave

OMG!!!! What a thing to have to live with. Is it something you can address with him?

• trillaz
    trillaz

Thanks for sharing this TimeBandit.

It must have been hard to come to the realization that a parent could do this but I commend you because you overcame it. I wonder how many accidents are actually cases for cold blooded murder. The assumption is that family members would not do this and accidents don't make the headlines. When dealing with investigators, I found they are not as thorough in real life as they appear on Television.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Isn't it amazing how you never want to think the worst about your parents, in this case, your father. Thank goodness he aborted the act in progress.

I too had parents who were very unhappy and at times acted in violent rages against my sister and i. My mom chased me around the house with a long butcher knife screaming that she was going to kill me. I was about five years old at the time. I still remember the horror.

I am sorry you are now re-experiencing the pain. I know firsthand how you feel.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ugh.

I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. If there were any justice in the world, your father should have been carted off to jail.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Your father sounds like a piece of work Timebandit.

• james_woods
    james_woods

This is a very sad thread.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Yikes!

I have been held at gunpoint, threatened to be killed, and been shot at in a seperate incident.

It really bites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit