One day dad tried to kill us all

by TimeBandit 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

wow, im glad it didnt work, wow kurt that suck as well.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It's hard to realize it's true. Parents can be that badFS

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Yes, it's true, parents can do the cruelest things to their children. I'm glad he had a change of heart. I'm glad you didn't figure it out until much later. How much worse your childhood would have been if you were totally afraid of your father for years afterward.

Like others, I've been there. Crazy alcoholic father who tried to kill us all on separate occasions - he attacked whoever was in front of him.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

I'm not particularly upset about this realization of what really happened. I am more shocked than anything else. Many of us have been through some really bad shit. On the whole I feel like I turned out mostly ok I guess. Just glad to be out of the cult and living a happier life now.

Chris-

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Of course you're OK. It was a long time ago and you're looking at it now from the perspective of an adult who is in control of his life. Still, it has an effect, a bit of a lingering WTF feeling.

At least that's how I feel. It was all a long time ago, but now and then I say WTF?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I was there, too. It was 1979 because Carrie was still an infant. He was warming the car up. Most of us were waking up, it was early in the day. Carrie started crying, so I took her and changed her. I thought she was maybe still sleepy, so I laid her down. I was walking into the living room when I felt my legs start to give way. Jason I recall collapsed in the kitchen. That is when we understood that the fumes had accumulated in the house. I ran to get Carrie. We got you all out into the yard for fresh air. Carrie never was the same after that.

I never thought he was trying to kill us, Chris. He was hyper vigilant about keeping everyone safe, calling more than once a day, checking locks and the stove, etc before bed. But he slipped up and made a bad decision that day. It was a bit chilly that morning, so he didn't pull the car out into the drive way. His carelessness could have cost some or all of us our lives. But your mother and I never rubbed it in or threw it in his face. He felt terrible about it.

On the other hand, someone knocked the phone in their bedroom off one day. Probably him or Star. He kept trying to call and getting a busy signal. So he freaked out and drove home from Houston and ranted for an hour and blamed baby Carrie for the whole thing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I really don't think Neal meant to hurt any of us, Chris. I can see why it might seem that way though.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Thanks for the input Heather. Well If you beleive it was an accident then you're entitled to that. If it truly was just a boneheaded mistake then he was the biggest freaking idiot on the planet that day...

• RN
    RN

FHN- if you don't mind-where in Michigan are you from

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I live in SW Michigan.

Chris, no, I never got the idea your dad did that deliberately. It was a chilly day. We were all getting up, not going down for naps or anything. I don't think your dad realized the fumes would get into the house at all. He was genuinely sorry that day for the blunder. Your mom and I knew that so we didn't rub it in, even though he made us miserable worrying that any of you kids would get hurt. He didn't act depressed or anything at the time. Just the usual neurotic worrying. Jason was only six at the time. You would have been 9.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit