When you were a jw....Christmas day...

by carla 27 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Taking part in christmas can be dreadful as well. You didn't miss anything."

That's a cruel thing to say. She didn't express missing presents, she says she missed out on being with family.

• Pterist
    Pterist

I was a kill joy for all my non JW family, since I was the only one, my late wife put up with me as best she could. I smashed down the Christmas tree one year, oh how very righteousness, NOT !

• trillaz
    trillaz

Wasn't trying to be cruel, actually trying to be reassuring about the dreading it part. And christmas without presents and just family can still be dreadful. All kinds of people are depressed for various reasons during this time of year.

• blondie
    blondie

I think she was just saying that some family situations may not be improved by getting together for Christmas, and it may be worse. If you love each other or care enough to behave yourself, it can enhance it.

I grew up with a non-jw dad who loved mooching on his friends during Christmas. Because he was still the "head" of the family, we had to go on these visits. We had fun, good food, even presents from our hosts. We sang carols and watched Christmas tv shows. My father was always better behaved at his friends than at home.

Later after the divorce, most of what was described I did with other jws....never went out in field service though. Special meals and getting together with a small group of friends. We always go out and see the Christmas light, individuals and business sponsored ones too. Sometimes I just stayed home with eggnog, made special cookies, played Christmas songs, watched It's A Wonderful Life.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never found taking part in Christmas to be dreadful, whether before becoming a witless or after leaving. There are elements that can make stress--family members you don't get along with, going into debt, not knowing what you are doing when stringing up lights, untangling the lights because you stuffed them in a box and shoved them in the attic, the fire you have because you didn't water your real cut tree or used real candles on it, and getting stuffed and sick. Stupidity is the biggest sin here--and the biggest cause of this stress.

Now, when I was a witless, I would see the lights and imagine you aren't even supposed to look at them. Any thought of pleasure (which is natural, since the lights stimulate the soul) are sinful. I would think of the "waste" of energy and hope they got a big light bill--or a fire. (Both are rare when you know what you are doing.) On Christmas Day, I would sit home and listen to music tapes I made earlier (the radio was full of Christmas music) and watch videos made eariler in the year (I never made them during late November or December because of the holiday music ads). One year, I wasted it being driven to the a$$embly hell--were it not for the 12 cm of snow that the father (a hounder) had to work on removing at his job, we would have wasted it in field circus.

And now, I have fun busting the myths about the hardships Christmas causes. Buying gifts as you go saves you the debt. The newer LED lights use far less energy and allow connection of more strings per circuit with fewer blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers (and fires). In fact, they are good enough to be used for general background lighting all year long--with interesting results. Not to mention I save energy by not wasting gas driving around the territory.

• BroMac
    BroMac

field service usually. dragged out of bed on Christmas morning to go door to door every bastarding year

• trillaz
    trillaz

Different stokes for different folks. I had over 25 years of christmas before joining. The 15 years before joining I had already stopped for my own reasons.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Yeah. What BroMac said.

Going round at 9:30 to Noon knocking on doors where people are up and in pjs looking ever so happy (or hung over) while looking at their new presents.

Kiddos outside trying out their new bicycles, or other outdoor toys. The smells of frying bacon and other breakfast foods coming through the door. The sounds of Christmas music still playing.

The cold - sometimes bitterly cold - weather as we trudged on to the next house.

Not too many were interested in talking to us door-knockers. Especially if we were trying to tell them that their celebrations were pagan. Not good timing on that.

Many a year was wasted in that practice. <sigh>

• cantleave
    cantleave

As a kid - Field service!

As an adult normal routine, but at least I got to watch the telly!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

You mean y'all (except BroMac) didn't take the opportunity at the Special Service Day and go door-2-door to take advantage of everyone's Christmas spirit that they might hopefully listen and find the Truth?

And you called yourself a JW?

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit