Please say it's not mine

by Sulla 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Sulla
    Sulla

Washington Post has this interesting paragraph this morning:

“It was elbow-to-elbow people crying,” Wasik said. “No one could tell you where to go. People were screaming, ‘Please say it’s not mine, please say it’s not mine.’ ”

Speaking of the scene at the firehouse where parents were waiting for their children. I'm reminded of the scene in 1984 where Winston Smith finally breaks. They find the thing he cannot bear and threaten him with it; he responds with almost the exact words these parents used yesterday -- Not to me, do it to her!

These parents aren't directly substituting other dead children for their own in their thoughts, not directly wishing the pain on other parents of other small children. But it feels close. And there they were, outside that firehouse where the worst thing in the world was happening. And what some of them said was, "Do it to someone else." I'm not sure what to make of that.

• happy@last
    happy@last

I can't imagine the pain of losing one of your children, reality is no-one wants anyone to go through that pain.

• designs
    designs

Gestalt reactions

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

its hard to know what a person is going through,when your child could be dead,your prob not thinking about anything else but your child. its nothing that anyone should ever have to face

• Sulla
    Sulla

So was Winston Smith's, designs, and he viewed it as a betrayal.

As I recall it, the nature of the betrayal had to do with willing her to be interposed between him and the rats. Don't do it to me, do it to this particular person, instead. I can't help but wonder if that is what we saw outside the firehouse: Some of the parents there -- and nobody knew which ones -- were going to experience the worst thing ever. If you say, "Tell me it is not my child," are you making the same statement?

I shouldn't have to explain -- but this is JWN -- that the entire point is that we don't hold Winston responsible because of the nature of Room 101: it's the worst thing in the world. Or, maybe we hold him responsible but know that everyone else does the same thing.

On the other hand, not everyone outside the firehouse said it.

• l p
    l p

I know they don't want this to be happening to anyone...bec if they did they'd be out their committing the crime themselves...they are just faced with a horrible horrible situation...they know...some children have been shot +/- dead....then they are heard saying "please let it not be mine" ....of course that is natural....im a mother...id be saying that...there is no way i could rationalise that well better it be my child than someone elses...how abnormal would that be....

give them a break...its traumatic...and its a response to trauma....very natural

Lp

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

oh, have some pity on people in a terrible stressful situation

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Wow, empathic much?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Although it's a natural part of human nature, it's still chilling.

"Well tonight thank God it's them
    instead of you"

--Feed the World

• wasblind
    wasblind

I can't bear to watch the news today, they showed some of the victims

it left me weak, I jus' can't bear it. Too much right now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit