Who cares about 2014

by konceptual99 25 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I keep seeing posts expressing a view that 2014 is going to trigger a significant increase in unrest amongst witnesses as it's 100 years since 1914. There has also been some suggestions that the society will have to publish something to head this off at the pass. I can understand why this might seem a reasonable view but I am not hearing any discontent about the date amongst anyone I know.

My impression is that the significance of a 100 year anniversary of 1914 is of more import to those that have left the organisation and those already questioning things than it is to the average dub.

I also suspect that the society will not do anything that may raise the profile of 100 years passing. Much more likely is more subtle messages such as the one in the Jan magazine about "false alarms". The aim will be to try and reduce dependency on a date yet maintain a sense of urgency. The only way of mentioning 100 years would be to go on the attack and say "it's 100 years - we must be really close" and I really don't see the GB making that mistake.

Of course, I am no prophet and could be really wrong but, as LeavingWT keeps pointing out, "there's none so blind as those that won't see". Just saying like that hopes of a mass awakening are probably optimistic.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Personally I don't think it will make a big difference. Some will question, a few will exit, but the majority will just be good sheep following the leaders without question. The society has already bought additional time for the "1914 generation" with the overlapping concept and inferring a lifetime can be up to 120 years. By the year 2034 they could have completely distanced themselves from 1914.

• bigmac
    bigmac

theres probably enough members on here who still attend their local kingdumb hall to ignite a nice little rumour fire.

maybe a co-ordinated effort would fan the flames a bit quicker.

• JWOP
    JWOP

In my personal opinion, I think some of them have been following for so long that they won't leave no matter what -- to leave would solidify that they've wasted so much of their life on it already.

• Londo111
    Londo111

When I was in, I used to have occasional thoughts like, “If 2014 comes and goes, then can 1914 and the rest really be true? I’ll give this to 2014.” Of course, my exit three or four years early.

I cared about 1914…it was an article of faith. I could explain the Society's interpretation of Seven Times and so forth. But I’ve discovered many Witnesses cannot explain 1914 or 607 or anything else. To those who do not care, I have little hope. But I’m sure there are some out there like me, who hear the clock ticking down.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think we are seeing the reaction right now. I don't think we will see a mass exodus. What we are seeing is a massive slowing down.

Urgency is fading fast.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Humans are obsessed with anniversaries. Centennials are BIG anniversaries.

This is an event that is unavoidable by JW's. After all it will be 100 years since Jesus returned. President's take note of their accomplishments in their first 100 days in office. If they fail to observe this event it will create more questions.

There is also going to be rampant speculation about the possible meaning to the back to back "blood moons" (total lunar eclipse) on Nisan 14 2014 followed the next year - Nisan 14 - 2015.

This will be the eighth time this has happened in 2000 years. The last time was 1492/1493

The symbolism of this will not be ignored on the centennial of 1914

Joel 2:30 "And I will give portents in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. The sun itself will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and fear inspiring day of Jehovah."

Rev 6:12 "And I saw when he opened the sixth seal and a great earthquake occurred; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair and the entire moon became as blood...

To a demoralized group of people saying soon,soon, sooooooon, this will be one more opportunity to try to hold on.

Let the speculation begin...... AGAIN!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It may have had an impact. But the GB has been printing articles that obscure the math. Especially with this overlapping generation crap. There are some thinkers and they will get it. The other 99% will continue on for another 100 years or the overlap to the overlapping generation kicks in

• pixel
    pixel

1914 in the mind of the regular witness is just "the year Christ got his Kingdom", no more. So, 2014, in their minds it means nothing. The regular witness don't have a clue Bible Theology.

• pixel
    pixel

1914 in the mind of the regular witness is just "the year Christ got his Kingdom", no more. So, 2014, in their minds it means nothing. The regular witness don't have a clue Bible Theology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit