After A Day In Field Service, Did You Get Euphoric Or A Spiritual High?

by ÁrbolesdeArabia 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

I was in field service for a WHOLE YEAR before I saw anybody place a magazine with a householder. So all those assemblies and conventions (or should I say sales meetings!) that interviewed people who placed dozens of magazines and literature always mystified me.

Look in the trunk of the average JW's car and its got piles of months old mags that they are afraid to throw out. At least thats how it was when I was still going in service.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

"Look in the trunk of the average JW's car and its got piles of months old mags that they are afraid to throw out. At least thats how it was when I was still going in service."

Ha! You should see my basement! I've still got boxes and boxes of stupid old magazines & literature, yellowing and dusting! But naturally I thought I was the "only one" with these secret piles of guilt!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

OMG TS, post number 862 needs to go into the "best of" section now!

You make a great point though. After I read the thread title, I though to myself "Yeah, I did feel great afterwards, like I did what God wanted me to do on Saturday morning." But now I have to say it was just a relief, just like you said, getting rid of that huge dump.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, I haven't seen anyone bring this up in concrete terms before, although I've heard Witnesses imply that they felt good after a day of service. Yeah, I definitely got that high -- I think I still do sometimes (I haven't been going out very often so it's hard to say). As others have said, I once thought it was a reward from Jehovah for doing the right thing.

Now I think I agree with TS that it was a feeling of sheer relief. Service has actually become harder for me as I've gotten older, not easier. The close-quarters social situation in the car and field service group is tough for me, perhaps moreso than talking to strangers at their doors. So getting to breathe freely again when I get home feels great.

Interestingly, I noticed when I was younger and would occasionally pioneer that I would regularly get this feeling after a morning spent in service, but the longer service days would drain me to the point where some time after lunch, I would start getting cranky, and when I got home I felt only tiredness, no euphoria. There's probably some science to be done on this phenomenon (maybe it already has).

• Skbj
    Skbj

like everything else I did when I was a JW was to get others (family, elders, others) off my back, because it was expected.

I had no feelings about it, was more like: "Right now I put on my Field Service hat and off I go" and neither I was one to "pause the service timer" if we took a break.

I worked full time 40h a week with a physically demanding job and only once I did pioneering again to get people off my back. At the end of the month I was knackred and stressed rather than spiritually high and euphoric.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    sd-7 get netflix if you cant afford cable, lots of old cartoons and shows to catch up on life you missed and its like $8

Way ahead of you, pal; I've had Netflix for awhile. I've upgraded since those days, and my movie collection is sufficient now that I have no great lack in entertainment even if I didn't have Netflix. I've definitely caught up on some episodes I missed, that's for sure. I was just reminiscing on the early post-high school days. I had a VCR and a 13" TV and like, 8 VHS movies that I watched over and over and over and over when I wasn't watching stuff I'd taped. But thanks for the advice.

--sd-7

• Tater-T
  • Tater-T
    Tater-T

oops....last post was unintentional.. better comment

I was always Euphoric and spirtually high after service... how that

Look in the trunk of the average JW's car and its got piles of months old mags that they are afraid to throw out. At least thats how it was when I was still going in service.

good one... how do you switch off the Italics button, after a copy and pace no less

Yes further proof WT is like Amway you end up stuck with a bunch of unmovable product

• tiki
    tiki

euphoria?!?!? NO ............. thank gawd that's done and over with.............. i really wish i had never had the experience in the least. seriously....

• whathappened
    whathappened

It was emotionally and physically exhausting...an effort in futility. I was so good at placing literature but return visits were a complete downer. They acted like they never talked to me before. I never enjoyed it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit