3/15/12 WT: Health Problems Causing You To Become Spiritually Weak? Then You Are Wicked.

by yourmomma 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Dagney
    Dagney

I've noticed that the cold, unloving, "if you aren't at the Kingdom Hall for every meeting, the only possible reason is that you are spiritually weak" attitude is permeating the literature, and our local BOE.

This precisely what let to my moment of clarity during a WT study. I had been staying with and tending to an ailing elderly mother, for 3 days, made it back early on a Sunday to "make" meeting, and the WT study was exactly like this. And while listening to the arrogant self righeous comments, a switch flipped in my head and I never went to another meeting again. I thought I was doing well to make it to the meeting, actually feeling good about it then to be greeted by this WT study and the accompanying comments made me feel I did not belong there and to get the hell out. And I did.

This is nothing new, it's the same thinking and drivel pounded out year after year. But maybe there is somebody else out there just like me who will realize no matter what you do, you are just a heartbeat away from disapproval and ultimate destruction in the JW mindset and will also get the hell out. I hope people realize they have value and are good no matter what the society says.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They have it all backward anyways. There are no excuses for missing a boasting session. So what if there is 10 centimeters of ice, or 4 or 5 meters of snow. If you cancel the boasting session, you're wicked. So what the lights are out at the Kingdumb Hell and it is -50 out with wind speeds around 100 km/h. Cancel the boasting session, you're wicked. You have Spanish flu and wish to stay home to avoid spreading it or so you won't be out another month? Miss the boasting session, you're wicked. You're in the hospital, and you are going to be there a while. Perhaps you are going to die there. Miss the boasting sessions with this condition, you're wicked. Hell, they rant about someone in that condition that pious-sneered and started a whole new congregation.

All this since attending boasting sessions, reading the littera-trash and applying it, and doing field circus can make you spiritually weak or dead. Most of what they recommend is detrimental. They ban power meditation, instead expecting you to daydream as if some fictitious story was reality and calling that "meditation". Try using the Ouija board and see how far you will get. Try summoning a Demon and see how far they will let you get. See what happens when you masturbate, or do fornication, or chant a mantra or vibrate a rune that will actually do something. Chances are good that you will win an all-expense paid trip to the back room. Field circus, boasting sessions, and reading this littera-trash are designed to deaden your real spirituality while making you think you are spiritually healthy.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

About a year before I DA'd myself I started calling the meetings the "beatings." This is a perfect example.

Remember that recurring example, usually in the Kingdom Ministry, about the sister with an unbelieving husband, 6 children under the age of 10, a full-time job, and a wooden leg who still managed to auxiliary pioneer every month? Guilt and shame. Perfect motivators.

• sir82
    sir82
    Remember that recurring example, usually in the Kingdom Ministry, about the sister with an unbelieving husband, 6 children under the age of 10, a full-time job, and a wooden leg who still managed to auxiliary pioneer every month?

You forgot that she was also in an iron lung.

• El_Guapo
    El_Guapo

This is what has caused my to have doubts and fade.

I went on a sheperding call with an elder (I'm an M.S.) and he asked the family how often they pray, what they say in prayer and if they have asked for help to make the meetings (They weren't too regular) The bro. said that his elderly mother is living with them and she requires 24 hour care, so they rotate and they don't the $ to hire a nurse. The elder said: "Have you asked for forgivness for missing the meetings? This is a requirement of all christians. Afterward, I talked to the elder in the car and asked: I thought sheperding calls were encouraging? He said yeah, we gave them the needed boost. I said how about we go back and tell them that Jah appreciates the help and mom they give to the eldery woman? Jesus made sure that his mother was cared for when he was passing away. The bro refused.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

yourmomma:

By amping up the unreasonable comments all they are doing is driving out more people. There comes a tipping point in most reasonable people's minds where they just cannot listen to hypocritical bullshit anymore.

PaintedToeNail:

Let me assure you that I would not have been one of those sisters forced to "help" anybody there. I might do this for my own Dad, not some strange man in a religion! I'm also not impressed by so-called anointed and I always avoided them. I also will never forgive people in the religion for criticizing me for working full-time and I wouldn't give most of them the time of day.

This targeting of sisters (especially single ones) to do favors for everybody is just intolerable. I was not there to be bothered by anybody.

I don't know how responsible people can stand being in this religion. I would have to be crazy to even show my face in a kingdom hall nowadays because of this attitude along with all the deadbeats and "needy" people looking for handout$!!

• Auntfancy
    Auntfancy

I think they get worse by the minute. That is exactly why I started to do my research! I had some serious health problems and surgeries and had almost no support and I kept repeating the scripture "you will know my people by the love among themselves" and I thought, where is that love??? I have since found out I have cancer and will be going through some treatment and I have not heard much at all. This to me is very disgusting how they treat those with health problems. I spent 30 years of my life in this cult. I am still going through some of the angry stage but I am thankful my family never JW's so I have loving support from them and I never cut ties with them when I was in. I also have my husband who was a born in with 5 and 6 generations and he followed me right out. One side note, since I have made the decision to fade and eventually DA, my health has improved in some areas. I hope others wake up when they read these awful articles. I swear these men are wicked to the core!

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

meh,

this is nothing new. Lots of fundamentalist religions would make these same kinds of statements to their laity

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Guapo's story reminds me of a simlliar experience I had a couple of years ago. I was out with an elder distributing invitations to the memorial and we skipped a house on the street. A few minutes later, a 'wordly' sister of one of our older 'sisters' with poor health chased us down. It seems her sister had seen us in the window and started crying when we did not stop in. So we went back and the best this 'sheperd' could do was encourage her to come to the meetings. The woman could not even walk! No warmth, no empathy. I was totaly embarassed by the whole situation. He probably saw her as just an unproductive drag on his time, too needy!

• rebel8
    rebel8

back in the mid 90's we treated sick inactive ones kindly and visited them and helped them with meals, etc.

I wasn't a dub in the 90s, but in the 70s and 80s we did that but it was a self-serving thing to elevate ourselves. Those who missed meetings were always viewed as lesser.

I didn't miss many meetings due to my life-threatening illness but I was definitely looked down upon for even thinking of missing meetings. (I missed school instead.)

Here is a quote I discussed in my book about being a very sick child who was insulted for being sick. I was made to read these compassionate quotes when I said I was too ill to go to meetings.

"The lazy one upon his couch"--*shudder*--what a sociopathic thing to say to a sick child. Disgusting.

Do not love sleep, that you may not come to poverty.

A door keeps turning upon its pivot, and the lazy one upon his couch.

At this Peter took him aside and commenced rebuking him, saying: “Be kind to yourself, Lord; you will not have this [destiny] at all.” But, turning his back, he said to Peter: “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you think, not God’s thoughts, but those of men.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit