France : no more local bank accounts for congregations

by fifth.column 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fifth.column
    fifth.column

I will try to have more specific information this week (if I must go to the meetings...)

I remember they said that everybody with monthly money transfer to the local bank account must see the accounting attendant (not sure of the name in English) to change the destination. The global account is titled something like (translated from French) "JW Kindom Hall Federation". So it seems that there won't be any local account anymore, although I agree I don't see how it will work for current expenses. Or... maybe the money goes to the global account, but the cong will open an new (and tiny) account to get some "pocket money" for the current expenses.

The explanation was quite the same as Hoffnung shared. But no resolution was adopted, it was just an announcement (but maybe the official representatives of the legal association will sign a resolution in private).

• Pterist
    Pterist

Thanks FS ;)

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I remember they said that everybody with monthly money transfer to the local bank account must see the accounting attendant (not sure of the name in English) to change the destination

HUH? The rank and file have automatic account transfers to the congregation?

wow

oz

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

When I was accounts servant there were several that had monthly BACS transfers and that was several years ago now. After I changed jobs the new elder responsible for the new brother looking after the accounts came up to me and asked if there was a reason why I did not have a BACS transfer set up or at the very least a Gift Aid certificate as this would enable more tax efficient donation. I told him that (a) it was none of his business and also (b) what I donated (which happened to be nothing and still is) was private and that filling in a gift aid declaration would mean my donations were no longer private. He was really miffed but there was nothing he could do or say.

Glossary....

BACS is a UK banking automated electronic payment method.

Gift Aid is a mechanism where UK tax payers can have the taxable portion of a donation reclaimed by a non tax paying charity. So if I give £10 and tell the society then they can claim 20% (£2.50) back from the Revenue.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Welcome to the group.

WTBTS and the French have not played well together for as long as I can remember

• chasson
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Sounds like they are preparing to skim more money from the sheep. Donation are geting lower because of bad market stratagies of the Governing Body, all thier failed predictions, and change over to donation based or free literature, lack of increase, and a dumbed down poorer contributors due to a ban on higher education.

Also the possiblity of selling off these properties as membership decreases due to exposure on the internet, and law suits mount over child molestation inflicting heavy losses.

• a watcher
    a watcher

frank, donations are also getting lower because of a BAD ECONOMY. JW's are losing their jobs and homes just like everyone else. (Ecc. 9:11)

no paycheck = no donation

• steve2
    steve2

The best argument for the Watchtower to ease up on disapproving of higher education?

Those who have higher education tend to have higher paying jobs than those who do not have higher education.

Higher incomes = higher $$$$$ "donations" to Watchtower.

• metatron
    metatron

I recall that, years ago when the French Tax case was still going on, there was a published estimate of $60 (equivalent) per year per publisher.

I suppose they could have low balled that figure because of tax liability but it didn't seem like much.

The reason for this move is pretty obvious: they are creating an arrangement that squeezes out the last few Euros from impoverished Europeans.

Pathetic, really.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit