Why are the Jehovah's Witnesses not allowed to carry a weapon (for protection) during field service?

by I_love_Jeff 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Under Rutherford’s presidency Jehovah’s Witnesses were known to pack heat. At least one was arrested, tried and convicted for murder. Others for attempted manslaughter.

See:

Jehovah’s Witnesses and Firearms – Overlooked History available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2011/02/jehovahs-witnesses-and-firearms.html

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

THANK YOU MARVIN SHILMER!!!!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

They are probably more worried about publishers shooting each other in the car, 'Let's take a coffee break', "No, I don't take coffee breaks", "I need my coffee", "No I said!" Coffeeless publisher shoots, and heads to Starbucks.

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Sir82- Your sarcasm is unappreciated. Sveral of you have made valid points. Thank you for your answers. They are much appreciated.

• TD
    TD
    If Jesus allowed Peter to carry a sword for protection, why are the Jehovah's Witnesses against carry a weapon during their "fun" door-to-door adventuring? It seems Jesus did not mind that Peter carried a sword if we read Luke 22:36-38

Jehovah's Witnesses teach that the only reason Jesus wanted his disciples to have swords that night was so he could teach them that they should not have swords:

"When they replied, “Lord, look! here are two swords,” he said to them: “It is enough.” (Luke 22:36-38) Enough for what? First, to fulfill Isaiah 53:12. Secondly, to drive home an important lesson for Christians Surely there could have been no stronger reason for using a sword than protecting the Son of God himself! Yet it was not God’s will for Jesus to be spared at that time. So when the apostle Peter used his sword against the slave of the high priest, Jesus told him: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword.” (Matthew 26:52, 53; John 18:10, 11) Jesus thus made it plain that theocratic warfare from that time on was not to include the use of carnal weapons." (The Watchtower July 15, 1983 p. 19)

• seenitall
    seenitall

Knew a nutcase brother who use to carry a big hunting knife under his drivers seat. He said he was terrified to go door to door - never knew what was behind the door. Yet, he loved doing the prison work - sid he could see them and was ready in case anything happened.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It would be a way to encourage the householder to accept the literature offer for the month.

Rub a Dub

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Good way to respond to a "conversation stopper"

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Good way to respond to a "conversation stopper"

Chaserious LMAO ...

Yes, and I bet if you flash the piece before asking for a donation to the World Wide Work, that you get a handfull of bills instead of loose pocket change.

Rub a Dub

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I liked the Abraham and ancients went out locked and loaded. Sometimes folks need a good smiting!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit