Why are the Jehovah's Witnesses not allowed to carry a weapon (for protection) during field service?

by I_love_Jeff 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

If Jesus allowed Peter to carry a sword for protection, why are the Jehovah's Witnesses against carry a weapon during their "fun" door-to-door adventuring? It seems Jesus did not mind that Peter carried a sword if we read Luke 22:36-38

Is it another case of picking and choosing what works for their man-made doctrine?

Is defending oneself a violent act, according to the Jehovah's Witnesses? Not to Jesus and Jehovah.

Are the Jehovah's Witnesses in disagreement with Jesus in regards to this topic?

Do they not follow the Bible to a tee?

"Deuteronomy 20 contains Yahweh's instructions about war. If a city does not accept Israel's offer of peace and open its gates, then "when the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it" (verse13). With regard to other cities, the command is (verse 16), "Do not leave anything that breathes.""

"....The Israelites destroyed with the sword every living thing in it - men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep, and donkeys" (Joshua 6:21). This certainly seems brutal and vindictive, doesn't it?

Or consider Joshua 11:20, "For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses."

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

There are a ton of reasons

A) It could lead to legal liability. People who go into bad neighborhoods for their employment are routinely told by their employers that they are not allowed to have a weapon while working. I have personal experience with that in a former job.

B) There are lots of scriptures that go the other way too and counsel toward nonviolence. There's a shocker - different people applying the bible in contradictory manners.

C) If you look at this objectively, it's not very appealing for someone to present themselves as a minister of any faith knowing they are packing.

I could probably go all the way to Z, this seems so obvious to me.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Matthew 26:52 [NWT] "Then Jesus said to him: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword."

Rev. 13:10 [NWT] "If anyone [is meant] for captivity, he goes away into captivity. If anyone will kill with the sword, he must be killed with the sword. Here is where it means the endurance and faith of the holy ones."

The above are just two scriptures the JW's can/will use from the NWT in trying to justify their stance. In regards to Matthew you may have heard it referred to as he who lives by the sword will die by the sword or similar wording.

Also the JW's will say it shows a lack of reliance(faith) on Jehovah to protect his servants.

And when any JW's do die as a result of relying on Jah, then you get the spill about it was allowed to show/prove to Satan that others are willing to die for their faith in him knowing that HE can resurrect them.

They will usually follow this up with a partial quote of Rev. 2:10 "Do not be afraid of the things you are about to suffer. Look! The Devil will keep on throwing some of YOU into prison that YOU may be fully put to the test, and that YOU may have tribulation ten days. Prove yourself faithful even to death, and I will give you the crown of life"

So as you can see if you survive without packing protection...Jah was watching over you...if you die then you were proving that you were faithful even to death and will receive your resurrection.

As Chaserious above pointed out, it's very hard to go to someones door saying you're there with Good News about Love and Peace all the while packing heat. And to them (JW's) image is VERY important.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Remember that the rank-and -file are on their own now. The WTBTS is distancing themselves from any liability. It's like tresspassing in service. Some JW's think that the Branch will protect them if they go in service and ignore a No Trespassing sign. The opposite is true, the Branch will not have your back because you broke Caesars Law. So if your country allows you to carry a weapon with a permit or certain weapons without a permit then go ahead IMO. Carry pepper-spray, or a tazer, or whatever... The WTBTS does not care what happens to you. If you die in service your death will be used as a fine example of faithfulness. You are just one more little locust getting squashed. If persecutions starts up in your area don't expect any help from the GB. They want you to be persecuted to motivate others that they have the only " truth ".

Proverbs 22:3 " Shrewd is the one that has seen the calamity and proceeds to conceal himself, but the inexperienced have passed along and must suffer the penalty "

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

delusional and mentally unstable jws banging on peoples doors at nine am ona saturday to argue about religion. yaaaa...weapons is all that scenario needs. even in texas a jw woulld be guilty of murder and or aggregavted assault for using a weaponin that circumstance. our lawsa are very clear that self defense requires no provokation. most juries would see the act of door to door witnessing as provocation.

• Ding
    Ding

Probably because it wouldn't look good for a JW to gun someone down in field service while preaching that military service in defense of one's country is evil.

• tornapart
    tornapart

In this country ANYONE found to be carrying a weapon will get arrested. (Unless they have a special license).

• sir82
    sir82

Good lord, JWs packing heat?

Yeah, that's probably near the top of "silliest ideas of the year" on JW.net

I can see it now - "Well, my Smith & Wesson says Jesus is Michael the Archangel! Capiche?"

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Not allowed to carry due to the fact that this makes the angels hovering overhead seem,..... well,... less likely to exist.

Got to keep those fairy tales alive somehow.

NJY

<<<< It could lead to legal liability.>>>>

Bingo! The WTBTS' pocket is always more important than the lives of those who serve it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit