Preppers and prepping.... thoughts?

by EntirelyPossible 38 Replies latest social current

• Satanus
    Satanus

I wonder if there isn't a bit of insanity among some of them. 'Course, someone living in the boonies needs extra stuff. I grew up in the bush, no phone, no electricity and miles from the nearest town. So, i understand that. When people look back on these guys, maybe a 100 yrs down the road, they will likely look cultish and silly. After some bad experiences w apocalypticists, the catholic church banned that kind of doctrine.

S

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

"Party Like Its 1999"-Prince. This reminds me of all the 1999 hoopla that went on. Everything was supposed to go techno dead. I met a family that was moving to Hawaii because of 1999. Hawaii was safer, because they were isolated from the rest of the world. As much as they maybe enjoying Hawaii now, they probably look really stupid to their family members...shade of 1975 anyone?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

EntirelyPossible:

Not that I think it is a bad idea to prepare (to a degree), but as far as I am concerned, to do what they do you need to have a whole arsenal of weapons to protect yourself against the starving zombies who will try to break down your door! You need to be physically fit like rambo. You also need to have a large plot of land.

Not only that, what kind of world will they be emerging into after all the dust settles??? To me, this is just as important as stocking up.

Feel free to disagree but what good will it do me if I have food to feed myself for a year but when the food runs out I am stepping out into a apocalypse situation. To me it would seem I am just prolonging my death.

zeb:

I know civilization is a thin veneer. I was beginning to see this recently with the hurricane that just struck the east coast of the U.S.

• j dubb
    j dubb

never seen it. is it real? i know some shows seem fake like the towing repo shows.

Is it a real show really on TV? Yes. Does it feature real people? Yes.

Like almost all 'reality' shows, does it exaggerate and present people in the most extreme way possible? Yes.

I have spoken and/or am familiar with more than one person that has been featured on the show. The producers make the people say 'I'm preparing for....(insert doomsday event here)!' While a few people that have been featured needed little help in looking like fools, many of them are far more reasonable and balanced people than they were portrayed on the show through editing and coached lines and scenarios acted out.

It does seem there is a weird preparedness meme circulating through the congregations. From the platform it has been encouraged to have a bug out bag and accompanying bug out plan complete with routes away from the city mapped out, leaving written information at home as to where you went, giving this info to your group elder, having a minimum of 3 days of food/water in the house, and so on.

• Glander
    Glander

Thorough prepping includes removing all body hair.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

to do what they do you need to have a whole arsenal of weapons to protect yourself against the starving zombies who will try to break down your door!

I DO have a lot of guns, but not for that reason. I just enjoy shooting.

I know civilization is a thin veneer. I was beginning to see this recently with the hurricane that just struck the east coast of the U.S.

Voting happened like, 10 days after the hurricane. How is civilization a veneer?

Thorough prepping includes removing all body hair.

That's just being ready for your lady friend to pop over.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ENTIRELY POSSIBLE:

How is civilization a veneer? It can disappear when people are pushed to their limit in extreme circumstances - warfare, privation, having their life turned upside down by disaster. Even though some may act better than others, things could fall apart quickly and the panic would be contagious. I saw people on edge.

Even though some didn't have electricity for almost two weeks, luckily, many people had it back and had a few days to get back into a normal routine, so they got out to vote.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Here is the National Geographic site - Very extensive on the preppers!

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/doomsday-preppers/

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I think it's good to have extra stuff for emergencies. I have about two months supply on my hands. Why that much? I figure if sh1t really hits the fan i'll probably need to share some with my neighbors which i'm cool with. I've really stocked up on those one shot liquer bottles, cigarettes and other items like this because they are a great for trading, good as currency and they last a really long time.

But in terms of disaster I really do think peoples concerns are warranted when it comes to economic disasters, which would cause serios supply chain issues. Just research the weimar republic hyperinflation, the ones that came out on top had farmland and tangible assets that they could trade. This has happened before and it will happen again -- history repeats itself.

I think this just makes good sense to make some reasonable investments in this sort of thing if you have spare cash and a place to store it, plus it's kinda fun. Bombshelters and bunkers are way overboard IMHO though.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I was asking the Mrs about this. Evidently buying rice, beans, etc in 20-50 lb bags is WAY CHEAPER...up to half price. So I guess if one has a way of keeping everything fresh it would be a financially sound move to preserve and save supplies. Mormans have a ton of free info on the net regarding food storage. I had no idea putting a piece of dry ice in a 5 gal plastic bucket would drive out the air (and bugs) before sealing it.

A REAL possibility in this economy is loosing ones job....so a few months supplies might not be a bad idea. humm

We lost power in our area for a few days and I was amazed how the stores and banks had to close down. No internet...no cash registers..no credit cards...no refrigeration. Something to think about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit