Preppers and prepping.... thoughts?

by EntirelyPossible 38 Replies latest social current

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

What do you guys think of preppers? I have been watching Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo (it's just a trainwreck, I can't stop watching) and while those guys are a joke, I think have a few weeks worth of supplies and water on had is a good idea (tornadoes, hurricane, freak snow/ice storm, etc.). However, prepping years worth of food, 5000 rounds of ammo per gun, building a fortified bunker.... what for? In all practicality, what for?

Thoughts?

• shamus100
    shamus100

While it is a good idea to have a few weeks of supplies ready to go, I think that building bunkers and nonsense is utterly silly. ;)

If you want to see a good movie about a guy who loses it and builds a shelter check out Take Shelter (2011). A good watch. The ending will surprise you.

• KristiKay
    KristiKay

Hi EP! Although I do find them fascinating, I just watched an episode last night, I cannot understand them at all. They in a way remind me of the JWs, always planning for a day

that most likely will not happen. Last night they featured a young boy (15) who was obsessed with "prepping" and I told my husband I would be really upset if our son was like

him, the kid brought a gas mask to school for chrissake! Admittedly I would probably be among the first to perish if a disaster were to accure, I do not want to spend my days

thinking castrophe is right around the corner.... How YOU doin?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I do it here..

If the roads are shut down(Avalanches,snow and or rock)..

Or the electricity goes down..

I`m on my own,maybe for weeks..

............................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

never seen it. is it real? i know some shows seem fake like the towing repo shows.

• Violia
    Violia

It is always good to be prepared to take care of yourself for at least 2 weeks , perhaps a month. Those that were without power for 3 weeks or more after hurricane Sandy probably now own a generator . Some cash on hand is very important. I have watched an episode or two of the preppers show but it is too far out, which is of course why it is on TV.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

As far as I can tell it's real.

Anyway, yeah, Outlaw, I get having a few weeks worth handy, in a place like where you are, even a month or two on hand. I shoot a lot, backpack and hike and a lot of that gear and forums crosses over with preppers....there are a ton of people that think a nuclear war, a financial collapse, a super flu, Obama, something, is going to happen that will cause mass panic, roving gangs, government collapse, for supply lines to be cut, a military takeover (weird, because they often also think the government will collapse), super earthquakes and volcanoes, etc., and that society will be destroyed.

These people are building bunkers, stocking up on MREs, canning meat, buying surplus medical equipment, as many guns as they can get their hands on, etc. I think they are loons. The funniest ones are the ones that think Obama is somehow going to cause all of this and are saying they will refuse to help any of the leeches and takers that voted for him. Somehow a lot of this gets tied into politics.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey EP..

Ya I can last a few months..I have to be ready out here..

You never know whats going to happen mother nature wise..

I`ve also injured myself a few times and couldn`t drive..

Supplies came in handy while I healed up..

........................... mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Outlaw -- be careful! Being injured badly enough so you can't drive sounds dangerous. Now we'll all worry about you.

I learned from watching the hurricane Katrina mess that in a disaster we would all have to rely on ourselves for a while. One of the things I noted was that people ran out of meds, so I've made a point of getting far enough ahead of my prescriptions that I always have about a three-month supply. And I keep canned foods, candles, flashlights, all that kind of stuff on hand.

The thing about the ammo and the bunker and that kind of thing is your neighbors all know you have it, and in a real disaster they'll all show up, which could get ugly really fast or you wind up sharing everything and run short faster than you would if you had all those supplies and kept your mouth shut about them.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Do you also hunt, do any gardening, canning, etc., outlaw?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit