Preppers and prepping.... thoughts?

by EntirelyPossible 38 Replies latest social current

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I love Doomsday Preppers. It's one of my guilty pleasures, along with Ghost Hunters. There's a fine line between being prepared and being paranoid. Some of the end of the world scenarios they prepare for on the show are so miniscule in possibility.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Hortensia..

Don`t worry about me.I`ve done this along time..

I`ve had broken bones,crushed hand,knee injuries,ankel injurys..

Dislocated shoulders..Bad cuts I`ve had to close myself..

I can take care of myself..

If I`ve learned one thing out of all this..

It`s..

What doesn`t Kill You..

Usually really F*cking Hurts!!..LOL!!

Hey EP..

No I don`t hunt but if I had to..

I`ve got meat running through the yard..LOL!!..

I`m also surrounded by Lakes rivers streams and I have a fishing rod..

Gardening,yes..But..

I get all my canned goods from the market..

..............................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

The Nat geo website has clips of the show. Lots of "preppers" in the Northern California mountains. Two Generations of them in the Mountains near the coast, even a local "militia group" of at least 40. M16s, camo, drills the whole deal. Some 60s maps had these areas as "radiation free" for ww3 so these people are in their 60s & 70s now, with children and grandchildren in the groups. Quite a few Mormans and 7th day Adventists.

A number of JWs seem to be getting into "Prepping" a bit. I was at a JWs house this week who had 3 months + supplies, a "GO" bag, and a check list from the congregation about disaster preparedness. Another JW told me over the phone about his "go" bags and "preps". An Elderly 80+ JW Widow said she had her "go" bag ready to go a couple of months ago. (She hobbles with a cane...WT#!)!

The wife and I have our regular fish/hunt/camping gear and 2 weeks supplies in the garage (and 40 gallons of water heater water, ( we live a block from an earthquake fault) but the hard core heavily armed "preppers" seem a little odd to me.

The strange thing is that Statistically..... you will get a divorce, Cancer, and eventually die of heart disease. Few of these folks seem to take that into consideration with simple insurance.

Maybe there is some money $$$ to be made here. 5 gallon buckets of nitrogen sealed Rutherford "Miracle Wheat"..and "Miracle Beans"????

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's the homeschooling of the children that really gets to me. I saw a live one in our supermarket, leaning over and explaining to her son how the butcher injects the beef with red dye to make it look fresh....

• Nambo
    Nambo

Makes good economic sense, with the increase in food prices, you will see a far better return on your savings if you buy food rather than put it in the bank.

I eat a very high quality Muesli and the super market was doing an offer, buy two and get one free, so I amassed a years supply. Once I ran out and had to buy again, I found the basic price had gone up 100% over that year.

I aim to have 42 months of food for the duration of when I wont be able to buy or sell.

Do the Witnesses still consider the "Mark of the Beast" something you get by voting?, how does voting prevent you from "buying or selling"?

Any of you Americans concerned with your imminent fall over the fiscal cliff?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I aim to have 42 months of food for the duration of when I wont be able to buy or sell.

Why 42? Why won't you be able to buy and sell?

Any of you Americans concerned with your imminent fall over the fiscal cliff?

It's more of a fiscal myth.

• zeb
    zeb

evr been around a dept store super price cut riot?

ever been there when the petrol is rationed?

evr seen how people(!) react when bread is rationed or milk?

Some years ago in a sleepy Canada the Police went on strike. For 12 hours nothing much happened. Then the reality set in and wholesale looting and wilful destruction was let loose and much of it by people who would normally never break the law.

Civilization is but a veneer. Ask the NRA about 'concealed carry'.

• zeb
    zeb

In the WW2 many mothers had prepared to kill their kids if the Japanese landed in Australia including.. mine. Most homes had a .22 rifle.

If you are sitting there with wonder on your face get the book "The Knights of Bushido" x Lord Russel of Liverpool , or a history of the "Rape of Nanking" and you might understand. The mothers were here mostly alone as the men were in far off countries engaged in the war.

'preppers' I can understand why they do what they do.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Civilization is but a veneer. Ask the NRA about 'concealed carry'.

I'm not sure what your point is. Without all of that veneer, how did we get to where we are? That there were long lines in WW2 for food rationing? For gas during the 70s?

Oh, and the NRA? Yeah, no thanks. I've got a concealed carry and I did need the wingnuts at the NRA for it.

If you are sitting there with wonder on your face get the book

I am wondering why murdering their own children seemed like a good idea.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    In the WW2 many mothers had prepared to kill their kids if the Japanese landed in Australia including.. mine. Most homes had a .22 rifle.

First time I've heard of that, and my parents were teenagers during WW2 here in Australia.

So when the Japs started bombing Darwin and Sydney, were any kids murdered, Zeb?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit