If Someone Tried To Get Into An Altercation With You How Would You Handle It?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

If someone tried to pick a fight, would you try to diffuse it, egg it on, walk away, throw the first punch or defend yourself if someone tried to smack you???

• minimus
    minimus

C'mon..put em up, put em up!!!

• cofty
    cofty

Try to calm them down but make it clear I won't be backing down.

There is no need to wait until you get hit - if you are convinced they are going to hit you get the first punch in and make it count.

The PO's son punched me in the face a few months after I DF'd. I saw him and went to shake his hand - he hadn't been to meetings for a while. He had been drinking and was all "you don't respect my dad".

I didn't see the punch coming but it was so lame I laughed in his face and taunted him to try it again - he decided not to try his luck. My son was with me and he was only 8 years old at the time so I didn't really want to get into a fight with him. It was also a Saturday afternoon in a busy high street. I was talking to my mate who is a policeman later and he said "you should have decked him and called it self defense".

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I always try to diffuse it but there have been a couple instances where that just didn't work.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Depends on the situation.

• blondie
    blondie

I walk away...no pearls before swine....but if they reached out and touch me....we'll see how my defense training up holds up. Of course, gun and knife trump things but my first hit will be a surprise to them. The biggest thing we learned as women that now is not the time to be "nice."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I quote Patrick Swayze from Roadhouse " Be nice, until it's time not to be nice.." I always try to be nice. Like EP said it depends on the situaiton. If you have been in some scaps and have some experience, you tend to pick up peoples vibes. So if a tough guy is sober and does a mock charge at you and puffs up his chest, then you have already won. He would have done something if he was going to. It was all show. Just stare at them knowing they are a coward. Walk away, it's not worth it.

If they are drunk then they are capable of anything, but they are easy to handle and won't remember it later. If they are on something else or want to rob you then give them what they want. Any idiot can kill you with a gun. If they act like they want to escalate the crime then you must take them out without mercy. Statistically you are more likely to die if the crime moves to a secondary location.

The above is if I am alone. If I am with my Family and someone acts agressive then they are going down. They get a couple nice warnings. Once they physically make contact you drop them. For that scenario I quote Rahs Al Guhl "There are those without decency who must be fought without hesitation, without pity." ...

Is that a satisfactory answer?

• cantleave
    cantleave

An unexpected kick in the balls usually works for me. Mind you for some strange reason not many people even try to pick a fight with me.

• tec
    tec

I agree that it depends.

In most situations that i can think of i would attempt to diffuse it, walk away, defend.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Mind you, I can only remember one woman who tried to pick a fight with me. It was at a park regarding our kids having a fight (verbal), and there were other kids around. I defended, verbally, and she continued. Then I ignored her, and she blustered for a while, and then left, blustering over her should until she was in her car. No doubt she continued, but no one but her hubbie and kids could hear her then.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit