Cult Leader Jim Jones's Final Speech

by Bangalore 43 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

ONLY 920 adults and a couple of hundred kids?

How many have died because of the WITCHTOWER policies on blood, vaccines, blood fractions and transplants?

HB

• Pterist
  • still thinking
    still thinking

Pterist....that is a great model to keep in mind for all relationships. Cult or personal.

If someone is being controlling...get the hell away!

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...How many have died because of the WITCHTOWER policies on blood, vaccines, blood fractions and transplants..." Hamsterbait, page 2

That aspect of human behavior - the way humans perceive danger as imminently threatening or posing "less" of a threat, has always fascinated me.

People tend to get excited over dangers that are statistically very minor - people are far more afraid of shark attacks than they are of driving to work or to the grocery store - but guess which one kills more people?

High body-counts over a very short time is usually more dramatic than the slower and far less visible rate of death due to refusing certain medical procedures.

For that matter, referring to medical procedures, in the United States alone, at least 44,000 people die annually due to medical errors - errors made by doctors, nurses and other medical personnel. http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/mistakes/common.htm

Not to discount the deaths of Jehovah's Witnesses due to the bizarre edicts of the Watchtower Society, but the same principle applies - neither death rate is highly visible over a short period of time, as are 'mass' suicides in extreme cults.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bump!!!

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

For a speaker at a JW assembly to get up and suggest that everyone take the poison on the order of the FDS would cause chaos to say the least.

But this is my very point. No, most JWs would not do this. But what they WILL do is die for the doctrine. They will refuse blood transfusions for the WT. They will refuse anything that the WT tells them is associated with politics, and thus die at the hands of vicious leaders. The blood issue alone has caused more deaths than Jim Jones. And that is what is so sneaky about the WT. They won't come right out and tell others to kill themselves for the WT. But they WILL tell them to die for what the WT tells them is wrong. It's only a slight difference.

My mother is a die hard JW. She refuses even blood fractions because she thinks they are still blood, even if it HAS been declared to be a conscience matter. While the WT has said it's a conscience matter, they've also said that if someone believes blood fractions to be blood, then it would be wrong of them to accept it. My mother will die if she gets bit by a snake. She will die because of what the WT says is wrong. If the WT changed its stance on blood transfusions, and taking blood in general, my mom would accept it, no question. Is this much different from Jim Jones?

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

It's chilling isn't it

• cofty
    cofty

There was a documentary on UK TV a couple of weeks ago about this. Fascinating and chilling.

It was the "them against us" paranoia that made the suicide possible. Their supression of dissent was frightening and familiar.

Some of his followers still defend him to this day.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Graphic Time magazine cover.

Bangalore

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit