Cult Leader Jim Jones's Final Speech

by Bangalore 43 Replies latest jw friends

• elderelite
    elderelite

Its ok palmie. Im sure the lord whispered to them that it was ok :)

One thing that really made jones town possible was the fact that they had been relocated. By removing them from a known enviornment and taking them litterally across the ocean it all but sealed their fate. It was no longer possible to simply leave and go "home" or fall back on know social support systems or known governmental authority (such as the police). They were quiet litterally strangers in a strange land and had no means of fallback or retreat that felt safe. They were an island, so to speak, emotionally and physically for all intents and purposes.

• Bangalore
  • ziddina
    ziddina

I dunno, EE....

We've watched JWs act in a manner totally contrary to their human, natural affections. I think that mind-control can be totally overwhelming, to the point that a person is trapped even while interacting with cult-free ["worldly"] individuals every day of their life.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

The difference I see in Jim Jones vis-a-vis the WT Society is that People's Temple was centred round one man in the flesh - Jim Jones. WT is the FDS, or the Governing Body to be exact. For a speaker at a JW assembly to get up and suggest that everyone take the poison on the order of the FDS would cause chaos to say the least. I can see maybe a few diehards start queuing up, but I would venture to say that most would be getting out of there and probably seek some clarification from the Society. Suicide is not a part of the Witness psyche. You are told that you will not be resurrected if you do so. Witnesses rather are conditioned and prepared to make sacrifices for the Society, such as imprisonment, torture, and even execution. Martyrdom by the hands of others, not suicide.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Yes, that's true, Las Malvinas...

• elderelite
    elderelite

Zid/las Dont misinderstand me, im not saying it couldnt happen in any cult anywhere, im saying that being isolated in a foreign country made theass suicide/murders harder to prevent with no social safety nets thT would have been available here in the states for those that were reluctant to follow through. It certainly HAS happened here (USA).. I think of the "heavens gate" folks for one, the folks in waco are another example. It can happen. Just saying isolating them all but sealed the fate.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh!!

Now I get "it"...

• perfect1
    perfect1

Malvinas, I would tend to disagree with you, as evidenced by the fact that JWs readily accept new ideas which are integrated into the existing framework. All it would take is phrasing it in such a way that it works with the other doctrines. Because there is mind control, people already think the doctrinal changes were there to begin with- the response to the FDS new light was- I thought of this myself independently. Somehow by the time a change is implemented so many seeds have been planted that no one notices it as a doctrinal about face.

Imagine you are sitting in large District Convention in a stadium with 10,000 other people. Who all begin to line up, Babies first. You might look around hoping to catchsomeones eye but everyone has that stupor or deluded smile. The same way you might occasionally look around to see if anyone registers a blatant idiotic thing someone says in a talk.

Why would JWs need to commit mass suicde- It could be the way Jim Jones said torture was imminent. Or- get resurrected immeadiately. Its JHVHs merciful arrangement that everyone not endure the tribulation- quote scripture- reinterpret revelation- some bible math to indicate the time of sleep required before the Paradise will come- JWs may be taught now suicide is bad- but they dont really believe death is a big deal- similar to Jones- it is just a sleep, and one from which JHVH will wake you up from in your most perfect and youthful form. Actually its suprising more DONT commmit suicide. No one wants to grow old in this wicked system of things!

The main difference is- The WTBTS has an enormous amount to lose- with a few holding the power- there is not a single man calling the shots- they have an interest in keeping it moving and I cant imagine a moment where they might be willing to put an end to it.

If they did, I have no doubt that everyone would line up- why not- they already have given up everything in this life- work, family, friends, they are no part of the world. All the Society has to say is that the preaching work is over. Compare the mass suicide to getting on Noahs ark. Done.

• d
    d

that speech was disturbing it really goes to show how cults can control a person's mind.

• ziddina
    ziddina

And the astounding "black-hole" egos of cult leaders - all while they're declaring "Peace upon you" and pretending to be soooooo humble...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit