Cult Leader Jim Jones's Final Speech

by Bangalore 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

Here is one reason I distrust all movements based upon emotionalism...

"Early on, he had grasped an important lesson: an image could serve as well as or better than reality. Religious people, with their eyes and minds on the heavens and their hearts open, were more susceptible to a con job and sleight of hand than most people." From the book Palmtree is reading...

As I've said before, if one starts out by lying to oneself, then one is vulnerable to others' lies...

"By the summer of 1961, the attacks on Jones had taken a different tone. Perhaps Jones' publicity and his actions had antagonized bigots. More likely, Jones had exaggerated - and even orchestrated - opposition to his efforts in order to make his integration crusade more dramatic and courageous...." Also from the book Palmtree is reading...

As we've observed elsewhere, persecution often has a 'solidifying' effect on a movement, quelling the questioners and effecting more complicit behavior among the followers. It's no surprise, then, to see cult leaders attempting to generate "persecution", either by creating the illusion of persecution or by deliberately inviting it with outrageous claims and antagonistic actions...

Zid

• perfect1
    perfect1

Wow, this is so fascinating.

Those images of all the bodies.

I can imagine a JW convention ending this way- all it takes is direction for the GB- how many would even have the mind to walk out.

• perfect1
    perfect1

OK, for anyone interested the entire PBS documentary is available on youtube.

Out of 900 people present on the day of the suicide- only SIX had a mind to escape. The rest killed themselves, their children, babies, and wives.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

He would shout, mockingly secure in his own power, "Either you endure sound doctrine when I preach it, or you don't hear it!"

*shivers*

• perfect1
    perfect1

Hey NC-

looking at this stuff I went back an reread the work of Zimbardo, and Milgram, and this has been on my mind all day!

What is it about human nature that people WANT to be obedient and turn off and trust someone, anyone who has the balls to pick up a microphone.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

What is it about human nature that people WANT to be obedient and turn off and trust someone, anyone who has the balls to pick up a microphone.

Something evolutionary, I suppose. It was safer to be obedient than to investigate? Too many independent thinkers in a foraging band may have been detrimental? Natural curiosity was suppressed because acting on it could bring one face-to-face with a man-eating predator?

Lot's of things to think about. What makes people tribal?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

This is the problem. People look at Jim Jones and think, "Ok, THIS is a cult." Because of the extreme nature, they then think that the WT is not a cult. It doesn't have the charasmatic power over people that Jim Jones had.

My position is this: The WT is MORE dangeous than Jim Jones. Jim Jones only killed 900 people. The WT has killed hundreds of thousands, with millions more ready to die for the doctrine of the WT.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well Jonestown was a cult. AND the Wt is a cult. It simply proves that not all cults act exactly alike, and usually start out pretty benign. The goal posts are slowly moved, and the people follow without even detecting it. Once a person has their loyalty, it is hard for them to see clearly, even when things get outrageous.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

An interesting passage from what I read today:

( While Jim Jones was on a sabbatical in Brazil, a pastor named Malmin stood in for him in Indianapolis. )

"Every time Malmin pointed out a personality flaw or trait indicating mental illness or emotional instability,Jones would rationalize his own behavior. On home turf again, Jones exhibited peculiarities that had been largely hidden in Brazil. he deceived and manipulated people; he showed some signs of tyranny; he encouraged his congregations' adoration.
    The combination of domination and submission, crticism and adulation, was not accidental; Malmin could see that Jones was setting himself as an oracle. Whenever soemone took a position contrary to his, Jones would take the extraordinary step of critisizning the person publicly, of accusing the person of going against God. To support his contention, he would say The Lord told him this or that, or it was revealed to him by Holy Spirit."

It is as some have pointed out, the beginnings of a cult are quite benign and subtle. And in the beginning, those who point out inconsistencies are ridiculed. Malmin was an exception, most of those closely associated with Jones, refused to call him on these behaviors, even when they knew it was wrong. As one of them said, "I never thought I would be a part of something that needs to lie to justify the means."........but he didn't leave or stand up to Jones.

The author notes, that by saying nothing, it amounted to tacit endorsement of Jones, and important information regarding him and his behavior was withheld from his followers to keep them obedient and lapping up every word Jones uttered.

• ziddina
    ziddina

BUMP!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit