Does God's foreknowledge take away from free will?

by Christ Alone 317 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I agree with Christ Alone. There is no incompatibility between divine knowledge and freedom of the will. Just because God knows what will happen, does not mean you did not choose. Either way, the question is moot for a being that exists outside of time.

• sir82
    sir82

For the record, I still don't understand the concept of "existing outside of time".

Can anyone explain it better than what has been expounded in this thread?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

You can choose whatever you want. Again, knowledge does not effect action.

Ah, so I can choose to do something that God foresaw as me doing differently. Awesome. I just proved God is not omniscient. I kick ass!

But this is predestination and not foreknowledge, as PSac brought out. Foreknowledge does not control anything.

Then, by definition, it is not knowledge but a guess.

Your statement is logically contradictory and you have not provided a single scripture or example that shows otherwise.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

We exist in Time, and only in the current instant. We do not exist in the past, nor in the future. Only right now. God is eternal. The future is no different than the past for God. Us knowing someone's past choice does not negate their choice. The same for God with respect to future choices. There is no prediction. It has already happened. It isn't even foreknowledge.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    For the record, I still don't understand the concept of "existing outside of time".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternity

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

There is no incompatibility between divine knowledge and freedom of the will. Just because God knows what will happen, does not mean you did not choose.

It 100% means that because you cannot choose any other way because, if you did, then God really didn't have any foreknowledge.

If there is choice, then that means there is some percent chance you could choose another option but, since God has forseen it, you cannot. If there is a percent chance you could do something different, then God doesn't really have foreknowledge but rather a "best guess".

No, because it's made up wackiness by people that don't understand what they are talking about.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    It 100% means that because you cannot choose any other way because, if you did, then God really didn't have any foreknowledge.

Read my previous post 9110.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

From that link, BTS: Eternity (or forever) is endless time.

Time is still involved.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Knowing what someone will CHOOSE to do with with thier own free will is NOT effecting free will at all.

Knowing all possible choices is not effecting the free will of a person to choosehich choice to make.

If time is relative and one can see present and future all at once, then knowing the future of someone doesn't effect THEIR ability to choose unless they are told what their future is/may be.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Read my previous post 9110.

The post you said to re-read was the one where you told me to re-read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit